Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Multiple short burst shots for stacking, is it worth it?

Hey guys, I'm going on a fishing trip soon and will be bringing my telescope. I have an 80ED Apo, and the appropriate T-Adapter for my DSLR. What I'm wondering is if I should waste my night trying to take shots of nebulas/galaxies/clusters with my dslr, or if I should just enjoy the views. 

Basically the telescope is 600mm, f/7.5. I can only imagine that my exposure time would be limited to 1 - 1.5 seconds. I dont have a tracking mount and would need to manually track the target (I'm guessing registax would take care of aligning the target afterwards).

Can I get anything worthwhile from this? or should I just mount my camera on a separate tripod and let it take wide angle long exposure time lapse.  

Cheers!

I think that you'll be better off taking the DSLR with normal lense (something like 20-50mm?) and shoot longer exposures untracked.

The rule of 500 (or 600) applies here, 500 / focal length of Lense gives you max exposure duration in seconds without tracking before star trails appear.

Registax is for planetary imaging, you would need DSS (Deep Sky stacker) for example to stack.

Regards, Graem

As Graem has suggested a normal lens with longer exposures, if you can view the image see how long before star trails start then set-up a remote control to automate the images....

One of these you your model DSLR will save you press the shutter button....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mudder%C2%AE-Shutter-Time-lapse-Intervalometer-Canon-E3-Plug/dp/B00MRMQM0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429020066&sr=8-2&keywords=remote+canon+control

As this is a fishing trip I would either just do wide field with the dslr and/or enjoy the visual views through the telescope.

If I tried to do all of it and imaging I would most likely be poor at everything.

See how the trip goes and you may either find you could do more next time or enjoy just the things you did do well.

If it is lake fishing with company they may not be best pleased if you start crawling around moving and setting up gear though the fish will be.

Archived