Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebula's

Hi all,

This question has prob been asked plenty of times but here goes!!

I had a great night observing in Carmarthen last night, skies super clear however I found it difficult to view nebula's can any recommend what I could look forusing the equipment I have?? (Sky watcher 200p eq5)

Any suggestions be greatly appreciated :)

A UHC or O-III filter helps to enhance the contrast in many nebuale, some noticably so. Such filters do reduce the brightness of the background stars and tend to tint them but the improvement to nebulae makes them well worth having in the tool box I feel.

They work by rejecting all but certain wavelengths of light that the nebulae emit so the nebulosity stands out more.

Dark skies help a lot too of course !

Easy peezy lemon squeezy answer is:

If like me you are a nubulae observer.............

You need either one or both of the following filters:

For Nebs that you can see in your scope (M42 etc) you need a UHC filter. It will enhance the views. To observe nebs that you cant see in your scope ( the Veil,Rosette etc), you need an OIII filter.

UHC makes the visible more visible. OIII makes the invisible, visible. 

Thanks for advice!! :)

Is there any chance I could see anything without the filters?? I'm more than happy to purchase them but I think I need to practice finding the buggers first :)

You will see them without the filters. Certainly the ones that give off the same light transmission as the Orion nebula.Different nebs give off different light and thats where filters come into play.

There is so much up there to see with a 200mm scope. I dont think you need to rush out and buy nebula filters just yet.

Archived