Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula ED80 and Atik460EX

Fordos Moon

Still very much a CCD novice, but learning all the time. 

13 x 12mins Ha, 4 x 12 mins OII and SII - albeit couldn't find any OII in there!

My own criticism is it is quite grainy, I wonder if I stretched a layer too far. And no darks taken as I am led to believe I don't need to with the ATik at -10.

Appreciate any thoughts, please don't be too harsh!

post-26268-0-45387700-1428763541_thumb.j

There's a lot to like but you can't ask 4x12 minutes to go very far in NB.  The grain is simply from stretching beyond the noise limit, I'm sure. As you're stretching and cutting back you'll see the main histogram peak start to develop a feathery edge once you are close to the noise limit. You could try to NR the darker parts of the image and stretch again, or you could pin the curve just above the background sky at this point and slightly lift the curve above that.

Grain apart, there is lovely nebular structure in there.

Olly

There's a lot to like but you can't ask 4x12 minutes to go very far in NB.  The grain is simply from stretching beyond the noise limit, I'm sure. As you're stretching and cutting back you'll see the main histogram peak start to develop a feathery edge once you are close to the noise limit. You could try to NR the darker parts of the image and stretch again, or you could pin the curve just above the background sky at this point and slightly lift the curve above that.

Grain apart, there is lovely nebular structure in there.

Olly

Thanks Olly I suspected as much. As I watched images appear on my screen I was surprised how little OIII was in the target other than a halo around the main star. So I presume in the future that if I take any OIII or SII I need to take significantly more to reduce noise even if there is little of them in the target. I did notice the peaks start to spike! And thankyou!

Archived