An asteroid and two galaxies

It occurred to me recently that I have never attempted to image an asteroid. So I searched to see if any suitable candidates were visible currently and came across Flora in Leo. As a bonus the rather nice barred spiral galaxy ngc2903 was in the field and also NGC2916.

This image is the result of just 4 x 600s subs in Luminance only through my Megrez 90 with 0.8x FR and with a 460EX CCD camera. I was intending to get some RGB but the clouds came in and stopped play. (When I was about to crawl into bed at 1 am I noticed it had cleared again but didn't go out again )

Flora10-04-2015.jpg

Flora10-04-2015inv.jpg

If the weather allows I want to repeat this in the next day or two to see Flora move and also get some RGB.

Dave

Very nice image. I've just had a look at flora as a result. Just looks like any other star but quite enjoyed comparing the star field around it with sky safari's to check I had it. Ngc 2903 was quite nice as well :)

Thanks Richard. I have this evening managed to capture another set of Luminance and it is very satisfying to see that Flora has moved. As I type this I'm getting in some RGB.

Congratulations on getting to see both Flora and NGC2903. You will have to look again on another night to confirm Flora has moved. All great fun.

Dave

Yes I can see it has moved since you imaged it above. Last night it was slightly up and to the left, right next to the two that look like a very faint double (although I could only see 1 of them ). I'll have another look tonight if I get the chance, as you say it's quite good fun.

Here is an animation of the two night's images. The lower position is Fri night around midnight and the higher 24 hours later.

Flora-anim.gif

I haven't got the balance between the two frames correct but it is my first animation.

Dave

When you look at the distance it moves in your animation over 24 hours, it's hard to imagine it's traveling at a radial velocity of 21.4 km per second 259km away.

I think you missed off a factor of a million :grin: in the distance. 259km would be very scary !!!

I do find some astronomical speeds incredible e.g. the Crab Nebula is expanding at an incredible rate of 1500km/s and has been expanding for nearly 1000 years and yet it is still tiny in the sky.

Dave

Had another look tonight, it's moved up to near the next brightest yellow star in your image.

post-20507-0-10778700-1428965948_thumb.j

This is a screen shot of where my Dob was pointing at the time. The blue circle is 0.9° FOV but with the eyepiece I was using my fov was slightly smaller at 0.6°. The screen view is flipped to match the eyepiece view.

Archived