Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

After a reasonably clear looking sunset I set up the telescope, just after it got properly dark, in an attempt to get some decent images of NGC 4216. I tried a couple of nights ago but it clouded over just after I'd focused the camera. I shouldn't have bothered last night either as the air quality was so poor that it was like viewing through soup. Still, although the transparency was very bad indeed, the seeing was excellent and I managed to get some very nice views of Jupiter and the GRS mid transit. It's a bit of a lesson for me that these hazey still conditions are actually very good for observing the planets as these periods often coincide with good seeing. I'll need to have another go at the galaxy once the front has pushed through at the weekend and swept away this murky air.

I took the 'scope for a spin down the park on Tuesday and was appalled by the murkiness of it all. Got some wonderful views of Jupiter though and finally had a chance to test my 5mm BST which really did the business. I've never seen so much detail on Jupiter's disc. Unfortunately any attempt at seeking galaxies was entirely fruitless as more of the stuff rolled in so I packed up early and went home. Venus is shining enticingly out the window as I type, so I might see how conditions look when I put the bins out in a minute.

DD

Archived