NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why so blue?

There is probably a really simple explanation for this, but it currently eludes me.

Whenever I use my modded canon to image the sun, it always comes out blue.  Now my understanding of the modding process is that the removal of the filter results in more red light being allowed through to the sensor, so I would have expected (if anything) the image of the sun to be redder than it really is. But I cannot for the life of me work out why more red light makes it blue.

Can anyone help save my sanity? Or (if that is beyond hope) at least provide some sort of explanation?

Thanks.

@ Michael: Yes, I do, so that would probably be it then. Thanks.

@Tinker: Yes, but probably better for me to adjust the color when processing the result. I also use the camera for non-sun astro shots, which do not have this problem, and I could end up in a complete shambles if I start trying to adjust the camera every time I change from sun to non-sun and back again.

Archived