Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Jupiter - osc or rgb?

Helen

I thought I might give Jupiter a go tonight with my C11.  (Think I'll need to collimate first though.)  

I have the option of using an ASI120mc colour or a celestron skyris 274 with filters in an auto filter wheel.  

I've never done rgb for planetary, always gone for the simpler colour option.  Is there much difference? 

If RGB is noticably better, does anyone have tips please?

Also, what scale should I work at?  I've got a few barlows I could use

thanks

Helen

Can't be a whole lot of help, I've used RGB on Jupiter with PG B'Fly, I have a mono Skyris 274 but not used it on Jupiter as you don't need the large sensor, there is no ROI available and the frame rate is restricted to 20fps, I think a faster frame rate is better for Jupiter.

Dave

I use 2 X Powermate

Thanks Dave.  I hadn't thought about the large sensor being a hindrance.  I've got a DMK21 which I keep meaning to sell since I bought the skyris, that might actually be a better bet if I choose mono....

Helen

Archived