NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Electrical Question concerning voltage and amps

cuivenion

Hi, I am wanting to add a peltier, heatsink, and fan to a long exposure webcam. Am I right in thinking that as long as the peltier and fan are the same voltage, I can run them off one power supply, as long as it can handle the current draw from both devices?

just be sure not to run them in series as I believe the voltage is V=V1+V2+V3+V.etc. In Parallel V=V1=V2=V.etc. Please check on this as it's been a while since I've used ohms law :)

I was was going to wire the positive of both devices to the positive of the supply and the negative of both devices to the negative of the supply. That's a parallel connection isn't it? So in a series circuit the voltage would be 24v and 12v in a parallel circuit, if both the fan and the peltier are 12v.

As you say if you connect up +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve for each item the voltage will be 12v each.  All you then have to do is simply add the Amps for each item connected (and switched on) to make sure you do not exceed the output current capacity of the power supply.

Thanks. It's not going to be pretty, it's my first DIY astro attempt. I'm placing thermal pads on the circuit board and then the peltier/heatsink on top. I'm hoping this will make a big difference, there's no way I'm skilled enough to remove the cmos from the board.

Archived