NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up, discounted Mesu.

ollypenrice

I wish these were more easily obtainable here in the states. This is a perfect mount if you dont need to go remote. The alternative here in the US is the AP900/1100, which is what I have my sights on. I prefer AP over SB also. Though SB does make it easier to go fully remote with thier software you can do it with the AP mounts as well. Just takes a bit more equipement.

Derrick - Not to get too off topic but what where your results with the C11 and EQ8?

The C11 at just under 2000mm (using an AP 0.67 reducer) was very good - this gave 0.56 arcseconds / pixel and I was getting consistently  good star shape  at 2.1 to 2.3 arcseconds FWHM in 10 minute images guided with an OAG and Lodestar X2 - guiding with 5 second integrations I had a pretty smooth guiding curve on 9 out of 10 subs.

Unreduced at just under 3000mm focal length, guiding was much more of a challenge and it was extremely difficult to achieve a consistently good star shape.

HTH

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish these were more easily obtainable here in the states. This is a perfect mount if you dont need to go remote. The alternative here in the US is the AP900/1100, which is what I have my sights on. I prefer AP over SB also. Though SB does make it easier to go fully remote with thier software you can do it with the AP mounts as well. Just takes a bit more equipement.

Derrick - Not to get too off topic but what where your results with the C11 and EQ8?

I agree. If these were available in the states I might have gone for it. So many good things about it.

Derek

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Am idly browsing SGL on a dull evening and came across this thread.

I went for this TS special offer. My Roll-Off-Roof observatory build is about a week from completion, but I couldn't stand looking at the mount sitting in the lounge any more (it's a thing of beauty in my eyes, but belongs in its natural habitat...), so I set it up in the observatory last night. I was initially worried about the Argo Navis / ServoCat configuration, but on the strength of Olly's comments about his Mesu, and the fact that I don't need robotic operation and don't want to have to power up a PC to use the 'scope, I decided the cash saving was worth more to me than the (undoubtedly better) capabilities of SiTech-equipped version. It's carrying a Tak TOA-150 and so not remotely stressed. Photo attached - please turn a blind eye to the messy unfinished observatory...

I've had less than an hour under clear skies, the rest of the time just fiddling with connections and configurations, but first impressions are positive. The slew action is beautifully smooth, and sounds smooth as well.

It seems that the latest updates of the AN and ServoCat firmware might go some way to address a few of the more glaring omissions which people had referred to in early posts about this configuration. I needed to make up a new DB-9 to RJ-11 cable to update the ArgoNavis system (the wiring is different to the cables which are used with Meade or Eq6 mounts, which I had previously). With that done, I've updated the AN system which now has the Moon as a selectable object in the catalogue (what were they thinking of when they omitted it originally?) I'll be hooking up the ServoCat to a PC for optional control with planetarium software next. 

There were some aspects of the deal I wasn't happy with. It turns out the unit I got had been used as the showroom display, and it shipped without some parts. TS fixed that quickly, but I was not best pleased - I'd rather have known about this before agreeing to buy. There wasn't a proper Mesu crate to ship it in, and I'd already paid for that. So they packed it in an ENORMOUS cardboard box with lots of padding, and fitted a nice Geoptik saddle plate which listed for slightly more than the crate cost. I also got some Geoptik counterweights, sold as "used" but which look brand new, at a significantly reduced price. The mount has a full warranty, so I'm not too worried; I think I've got a good deal, but will know for sure after a few good clear nights.

I'll post some more pics of the setup and observatory when I've cleared out the woodshavings and tidied up the wiring a bit... I've used Laser_Jock's design of observatory with integrated covered decking area.

Cheers

Nigel

post-34005-0-40345200-1435350429_thumb.j

Ex demo stock sold as new? Thats sharp practice IMHO. Fine if you knew it was ex-demo.

At the end of the day, you got a LOT of mount for the money, and you are pleased with it. I wish you health to use it...it looks awesome with that monster Tak! :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

• 2 months later...

That is a cracker of a deal if I didn't already have one, I'd be in there like a shot - someone is going to have a very good day indeed!

With regard to setting up the Sitech II version, I have written a manual that explains what is required and it really isn't that difficult and with the Sitech controller, the Mesu 200 becomes a wonderful robotic mount that knocks spots off the Paramount for the money ...... :evil:

attachicon.gifmesu_sitech.png

Steve, thanks a lot for the manual. It made my life very easy indeed

Cheers

Archived