SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with SkyMaster 15x70

I haven't posted here for a while, but it is a special occasion - new binoculars! I picked up a pair of SkyMaster 15x70 binoculars a few weeks ago, but only recently did I have a chance to use them (albeit in the balcony). 

Started of with a classic - Orion's Sword. Messier 42 and Messier 43 were bright and large fuzzy spots. Easily managed to split Theta 2, but failed with Theta 1. To the north of M42 I saw the rich open cluster NGC 1981 and near it - The Walking Man asterism. To the south of M42 the pretty double STF 747 was split without much trouble.

Next was Orion's Belt - a nice large star cluster rich with many stars of varying brightness. 

Then I went up to Collinder 70 - a large open cluster situated around Lambda Orionis. I really enjoyed the line of faint stars stretching from Lambda to Phi Orionis.

From red Betelgeuse I went up Orion's arm to the bright, but small star cluster NGC 2169, which resolved to quite a few stars. A nice asterism of relatively bright stars was spotted just to the east of NGC 2169.

After that I observed one of my favorite open cluster in the night sky - Messier 35 - large and bright, very rich in stars (I probably saw about 20-30)

From Procyon in Canis Minor I starhopped to the nice wide double Delta-21 Monocerotis. Then I went to the small, but bright open cluster NGC 2301, which consisted of a few relatively bright stars set in a mist. Of course, after this I didn't forget to visit a personal favorite - the bright star cluster NGC 2244

Finished the observing session with another bright open cluster - NGC 2232, which looked completely resolved.

I'm in love with these binoculars!

Hi Pepitoz,

That's a great report, nicely written. Do you use a mount or do you have muscles for those big binos??

This particular observation I used my muscles, but I do have a mount. I seem to be having some problems with it though - constant wiggling. The problem appears to be with the gadget (don't know how it's called) that connects the mount and the binoculars, so I will probably change it for something better soon. But for now, muscles are enough!

Thanks for the comment!

• 3 months later...

I bought my SkyMaster 15x70s in April. I love them. I've used reflector scopes for the past 46 years, but can't lug them anymore due to really bad hip arthritis. I use a zero gravity lounger for steady, comfortable viewing sessions. Using scopes was never comfortable, but the bins and lounge chair air great.

I really love laying beneath the stars and doing sky sweeps with the bins. I kind finally "see the forest". With the scopes, I was "seeing the trees". I can really see where everything is in respect to other objects.

• 3 months later...

Still have mine,which were essentially my way back into proper Astronomical observing,after a break of nigh on forty years.

Bought them in Feb 2012,and though I replaced them with Helios Apollo's in Dec 2014,they still get the occasional use,as though not as good optically as the Apollo's,they are about half the weight and can be hand held fairly steadily for much longer periods than I could ever manage with the Apollo's!

Not a bad bit of kit for the money-IF you get a decently collimated one.

I reckon I was lucky. :smiley:

Very nice report. I have the same problem with my tripod adapter, which is also waaaay to wiggly. It's made of plastic and of no use. Muscle power and a comfortable position works great.

Orion is still a no show "up here" at 60 deg lat. But there are very interesting targets near Casseopeia and Andromeda as well. Check them out if you have the opportunity.

I have the same problem with my tripod adapter, which is also waaaay to wiggly. It's made of plastic and of no use.

Either replace it, or fill the recesses in the sides with some 6mm rod (decapitated bolt, bit of "skewer"-type tent-peg, etc) and epoxy resin.

Congrats on your first light. Similar BA-1 bins were my constant companion on many trips across the globe. The views of Omega Cen, 47 Tucanae and the Magellanic Clouds from down-under were breathtaking. I have since upgraded, but these BA-1s provided the proof that big bins are great even if you have a good wide-field scope

Archived