NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader CoolCeramic Herschel Wedge - trigger pulled!

DRT

My lovely wife recently bought me a Lunt LS50THa for my 50th birthday and I had a fabulous few days with it at SGL X watching the eclipse and some fantastic prominences and surface detail. I also enjoyed comparing those views with various white light scopes so decided to treat myself to what seems to be the best white light view on the market.

FLO will hopefully be processing my order tomorrow and my Baader wedge will be winging its way to me soon.

For now I plan to use it in my ST 102T but perhaps one day it will find its way into something more elegant. {suggestions welcomed}

I have the Lunt wedge which I used in anger for the first time to watch the eclipse and am very happy with it.  I'm using mine with an ST120, which is fine with 2" eyepieces, but I couldn't reach focus with the 1.25" adaptor and my 13mm Nagler.  That may well not be a problem that affects you.  The other niggle with the ST120 (and perhaps to a lesser extent with the smaller models in the same range) is that the CA is very obvious when looking at the Sun.  I'm hoping a continuum filter will deal with that for the time being.

I'm also tempted to find something else, but I haven't decided what yet.  From a travelling point of view (I take at least one scope and often two when we go for holidays in France) the ST120 is certainly more convenient to stick in the car than a slower 'frac of similar aperture, but that doesn't stop me thinking about it :)

James

I've not had a problem reaching focus with any EP in the 102 but will reserve judgement until the Baader wedge is attached. Portability is a big consideration for me with this setup as I want to be able to use the Ha and white light set-ups on either side of a Giro mount so similar weight will be helpful.

All that said, is it just me or is there something about the aesthetics of Baader kit that makes you want to spend money? :rolleyes2:

Congratulations on the purchase, there are some great views to be had and I am sure you will love it :smiley:

It is great to have a dual solar set up on a giro, being able to switch from one scope to the other is a nice luxury to have :laugh: 

I have not experienced any focusing issues with my 80mm set ups.

CA was an issue with one of my previous scopes when viewing white light but my current crop does not suffer from it.

Archived