Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser upgrade for 6" Dob?

Short question: Any advice, please, on what's the best upgrade for the focuser on a Skyliner 150 and would it fit/how to fit the replacement to the six-inch tube?

Longer bit: I'm fed up of the 'kick' I get when trying to focus. I've had no joy adjusting the small Allen screw on top of the focuser tube. I have fitted an 'auto-focuser' (a misnomer, but you what they mean) and that has done nothing to help. If I focus out it jumps one way and then, when focusing in, it jumps the other way.

Not sure what, exactly, I should be looking for so would be grateful for any pointers or info about upgrades, please.

Not sure exactly what focuser you have, but I've sorted a SW focuser with similar jerky issues.

Mine had two allen key adjusters on the top, they were tiny and recessed, they both pushed onto a long hard plastic bar that was in contact with the focuser draw tube. I replaced the plastic bar with some 3mm thick Teflon, filed to the exact dimentions of the original plastic. It transformed the focuser action from dreadful to excellent.

An alternative to 3mm thick Teflon would be to attach Teflon tape to the original plastic bar.

This, or something similar could ( possibly ) sort it, no guarantees of course.......

If you go the focuser upgrade route, the replacement would need to put the eyepiece at the same distance from the tube, not hard of course with the focuser drawtube travel.   The main issue is attaching the focuser, you may perhaps have to drill new bolt holes, or maybe enlarge existing ones.......etc.  Are you the DIY sort with at least basic tools ? 

It's possible that a good retail supplier may know of a replacement focuser that's a no hassle fit.

And please be careful not to drop anything onto the mirrors.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

Thanks, Ed and Ron for your responses.

First up, I am definitely not a DIY guy. I shy off from the simplest of tasks.

As for the Allen key adjusters on top - thanks, Ed, but I've messed with them (it?) before and it's not doing anything for me.

Anyhow, I just posted to see if anyone came up with a 'killer' fix or pointer on where to go, what to do, to sort the problem. In the meantime, I did a bit of researching/reading on tinterweb and got a better idea of what was around.

The result is that I've pulled the trigger on a Moonlite focuser (and 'installation kit') from FLO. So I'm going to have to be at least a wee bit DIY guy ...

Oh, and I WILL take care not to drop the nuts/anything on the mirror!

p.s. Ain't it amazing that my new focuser costs as much as the telescope did!!

Lay the tube on a bed so its flat, remove the old focuser there will be a metal plate on the inside of the tube that will drop off if not held by one of your hands, fitting the new one is simple put the base on the tube screw in the retaining screws from inside the tube 4 screws and your done, attach the new focuser to the base using the supplied Allen screws and suitable supplied adjusting plates......

DSC_0839.jpg

Excellent, Tinker. I really appreciate that a lot.

As earlier, I'm the most awful removed-word blouse when it comes to DIY! But I had a 'recce', looking at what might be the way to go about the replacement project (perhaps delusions of adequacy creeping in here!) and kinda thought along the lines you have described so well. Here's hopin' ...

Thanks again.

Archived