Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which laptop?

Gazabone

Hi, looking for advice on what will both run the Celestron firmware manager and recognise that a mount is attached via a usb. I have a desktop and laptop, neither of which will run the CFM program despite upgrading to the latest version of Java as the web site suggests. I also have a MacBook which runs the CFM program fine but won't recognise when the mount is connected to it. A touch frustrating!

If anyone can suggest a good laptop/windows/OSM/ anything that would work, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

Hi, any laptop that's a "Pentium 4" spec or better will run the Celestron software as well as the other control software for astronomy hardware.

Personally I designated a Sony VAIO CoreDuo laptop with only 2Gb RAM running windows Vista premium as my astronomy only laptop. All I done was replace the internal HDD with a SSD drive and the laptop work beautifully. I'm easily autoguiding using it, while running other software such as APT while capturing deep sky via DSLR or iCap and/or FireCapture when planet imaging. I also run the Celestron NexRemote software. Switching between all of the software is smooth and I have no problem.

Most of the time I do my processing on mum desktop PC but I have been stacking using it also and yes it's slower but still very usable.

Archived