Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASI120MC, Jupiter and FPS

I had a  quick shot of my new ZWO ASI  last night for the first time, I have not had my gear out in ages as the weather has been terrible up north. I also had to mount my 200p on my EQ5 as the NEQ6 is out of commission right now and with the gusty breeze out back the scope was everywhere. Here is my first result from the camera though It looks to me a bit over processed but I am still learning and rushed this one through.

post-24331-0-07784500-1425882324_thumb.j 

Does anyone know if the FPS on firecapture can be set manually with the ASI 200 attached or can it only be adjusted by the exposure slider? I am sure I read somewhere before for planets that about 30fps  was a good point? Or maybe this was advice given for using the SPC900, but I am positive I used to set the fps myself but it has been so long I am completely stumped. Last night the camera was knocking out around 100fps , not sure if this is good or bad compared to the 30fps I was expecting in my head. Maybe its just how this camera works.

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated folks, Cheers now.

I had a  quick shot of my new ZWO ASI  last night for the first time, I have not had my gear out in ages as the weather has been terrible up north. I also had to mount my 200p on my EQ5 as the NEQ6 is out of commission right now and with the gusty breeze out back the scope was everywhere. Here is my first result from the camera though It looks to me a bit over processed but I am still learning and rushed this one through.

attachicon.gifconv_Jup_212604_g5_b3_ap34.jpg

Does anyone know if the FPS on firecapture can be set manually with the ASI 200 attached or can it only be adjusted by the exposure slider? I am sure I read somewhere before for planets that about 30fps  was a good point? Or maybe this was advice given for using the SPC900, but I am positive I used to set the fps myself but it has been so long I am completely stumped. Last night the camera was knocking out around 100fps , not sure if this is good or bad compared to the 30fps I was expecting in my head. Maybe its just how this camera works.

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated folks, Cheers now.

What affects the FPS as well as the gain and exposure settings is the size of the capture screen. Go for the smallest that contains the target and with a fast scope you should hit 60 FPS with ease. Also the computer USB data transfer plays a role here as I don't think that ASI buffers the frames.

A.G

Yes, the fps measurement isn't really useful.  Exposure time and gain are what matters.  Personally I'd try to get the histogram 80 to 85% with the 120MC (assuming that's the one you have) without the gain going too much above 50%, but if that means very long exposure times then I might reduce the exposure time and bump up the gain.

James

Archived