having trouble getting nikon 70s to focus using t mount through telescope

hi there i recently join this site in the hope to get some advice and tips on taking photos of the moon and stars.  I seem to be having trouble in getting my camera to focus on anything . I can direct my telescope to the moon or a bright star and only get a background light. I cannot get my equipment  to focus. any advice please. Im pretty new to this so go easy on me. many thanks

hi there i recently join this site in the hope to get some advice and tips on taking photos of the moon and stars.  I seem to be having trouble in getting my camera to focus on anything . I can direct my telescope to the moon or a bright star and only get a background light. I cannot get my equipment  to focus. any advice please. Im pretty new to this so go easy on me. many thanks

Hi, before anyone can answer they will need to know what telescope you are trying to use. It may be a simple case that you need a 50mm extension or as in the case of some reflectors you may not have sufficient inward focusser movement. 

Camera Nikon D70s

T mount adaptor ring

Tmount tube (adjustable) eye piece lens can be inserted into tube

T mount 1.25 fitting

Meade 6" reflector 1.25 lens fitting model unknown

Sky Watcher D=114mm F=500mm reflector 1.25 lens fitting

Meade 4504 d=114mm F=910mm 0.96 lens fitting ( this I haven't got an adaptor for to fix camera onto)

I hope this helps

Forget using the adjustable t-tube, unless you are inserting an eyepiece into it, this will only make things worse. You need to get the camera as close as possible to the secondary mirror so that you can get the camera to focus. With most Newtonian telescopes this is not possible unless it has been designed specifically for astro imaging. The alternative is to use a barlow lens which will have the effect of moving the point of focus further out.  This video should explain things

Thanks very much Peter was most useful , unfortunately my x2 barlow  lens isn't detachable its a cheap one me thinks. I also tried inserting the barlow lens inside my adjustable T-mount tube but that has the opposite effect it focused great on my window blind (6ft) away . I now know to look out for a x1.5 barlow lens that may do the job. thanks for the advice been most helpful. What telescopes would you recommend that does accept Astrophotography ? 

Archived