New scope: Skymax 127 pro eq-3 goto

Hey guys just ordered the above scope on an eq-3 mount with SynScan goto.

It's the first time for me with goto and I purchased it because I read up that it would allow me to track my objects which would allow me to take long exposure shots with my DSLR

Could someone describe how I would go about tracking the objects?

I know I have to polar align the scope and I know how to use the two star alignment etc but have never been informed on how it tracks the object

Thanks

It's default mode is to track at sidereal rate, so if it's correctly aligned and pointing at your target then it should "just work".

There are options on the handset to change the tracking rate if you want something other than sidereal.  It's so long since I used the handset though that I can't recall if "lunar" is one of them.  I know "solar" is, but I can't recall what else there is.

James

If you are reasonably well polar aligned (another thread entirely) all you need to do is to turn tracking on via the handset; there are various speeds of tracking, sidereal (anything outside the solar system), lunar, solar. If this is turned on, the mount will track at that rate constantly. Easy.

For "long" exposures (more than 10-30 seconds i guess) you need to have very good polar alignment (which requires you to calibrate your polar scope first and adjust it, assuming you want to use that method), a robust mount with minimal periodic error, well balanced kit, and a foregiving telescope with a short focal length. There is so much for you to learn, it will seem daunting but you'll get there.

Have you also ordered the bits to attach your dslr to the 127?

Exciting times.

James

Very good points from the other James, there.  A long focal length scope such as the 127 Mak will show up alignment errors very quickly, so you need to get it as accurate as possible.

Don't forget though, in this instance the telescope is effectively just another camera lens and as such there's no reason you can't put the camera on the mount with a standard camera lens and use that for astrophotography too.

James

You can download the manuals for both the handset and the mount from the skywatcher website and start reading even before the stuff arrives. Here is the manual for the handset, version 3.36 though you might have a older version of the firmware on your handset but this can be easily updated though you need a pc with a serial port, or a friend with a serial to usb lead, or you need to buy one yourself (don't get a cheap one off ebay as they don't work):

http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads/Synscan%20V3%20Hand%20Control%20Manual_SSHCV3-F-141110V1-EN.pdf

Here is the manual for the mount:

http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads/NEQ3goto.pdf

James

The stuff to attach your dslr to the scope:

T2 ring (this is an eis canon one but other available, and this clips onto the body of the camera where the lens would normally click in):

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/140976640466?nav=SEARCH

And then i can't remember if you can screw that ring above directly onto the back of the scope, or if you need to use a nose piece into a diagonal or whatever, like this:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161504043934?nav=SEARCH

James

First thing to do would be read through the handbook that comes with the mount......two or three times.

I find the first read is a bit confusing, then the fog lifts when you read it again.

Tracking is easy with the synscan go-to. Once the mount has moved to the object you want to view, it switches to tracking to keep the object in view.

You would have to press buttons to stop it tracking!

Thanks for all your help !!

I have the necessary imagine equipment for my DSLR including the t-ring adapter etc,

I have been reading up and it seems to me that for long exposures that an auto tracking scope is needed ? I've seen ones used attached to a finderscope that alligns to a certain star and keeps that locked on for long periods ?

Or is this more advanced ?

Guiding. It is more advanced but not out of your reach i'm sure. Just more expense. You are going to start running into problems with your mount, both in terms of payload capacity and accuracy of the tracking and adjustments the guide scope will want to make. Also guiding a long focal length scope with a finder guider is much more tricky i believe, and people tend to use off axis guiding for that...

I think you need to get the kit you've ordered and enjoy that first. You can certainly start taking inages of the small DSOs with hundreds of shorter exposures. Then i'd say think about moving on.

If you really want to get into guiding, i think you'd need a more robust mount (HEQ5 or above) and a shortr focal length, fast optics telescope.

James

I don't know any specific sites, but just google guiding and i'm sure you'll find countless hits. Else search on here. I do think you need to get to grips woth he kit you will have first; you need to learn how to polar align and sort out focus (which is tricky with a 127 on a non-sturdy mount as it will vibrate lots - you miggt need to get a bhatinov mask (or similar) to help get focus spot on. And you need to work out how much light pollution is going to affect your imaging; you may find 30 seconds is long enough before light pollution causes problems, in which case you will need to think about filters [light pollution or otherwise].

As i said before, the 127 is a lovely compact and robust scope, but not designed really for long-exposure astrophotography. Read up on asrophotography, learn about fields of view, speed of optics etc.

James

Archived