Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lightweight Portable Mount

russ.will

In my rush to flog stuff to fund my EP fetish, I left my self slightly short of a mount for the 80mm Apo. This is my holiday/take a scope just in case/solar horse, so it's not without need. I have a decent Manfrotto tripod and video head, but as I found in the Alps, this leaves you woefully short of declination, although it's surprisingly sturdy - This may have relevance.

I'm not going to remotely think about imaging, so Alt/Az is what I want. Tracking is a minimum and GOTO nice as it's easier to hold the attention of kids - Nudging an Alt/Az or Dob, it turns out, not an interesting spectator sport. Compact is definitely a requirement. Looking around, there are some reasonable bargains to be had, but I'd be interested in peoples views for something sub £300.

iOptron Cube Pro - £280-320. Earlier software foibles seem to have been sorted, but the 1" tripod is still renowned as rubbish. That said, the second hand one I have seen doesn't seem to have a standard tripod as it has a traditional spreader plate and anyway, there's loads of people getting good results on a decent photo tripod....

Skywatcher Supertrak - £80-120. Bit of a lump and no GOTO, but cheeeeaaap. Looks like a longer tube could observe zenith.

Celestron 6/8SE Nexstar GOTO Mount - £300. Bit of a lump, but presumably a decent load capacity. Looks like zenith is going to be an issue with anything other than a short tube.

Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO - £250-350. Bit of a lump and presumably not quite as sturdy as the Celestron, but comes with a free bonus scope! Looks like zenith a non-issue. Ironically, this was going to be my first scope before the denizens of this hallowed portal talked me into a 200p/HEQ5 Pro. Talk about budget creep.

Anything else I should think of?

Russell

Was going to say the iOptron Smarteq, but that is £450 and I suspect on the same flimsey tripod as the Cube.

iOptron really do need to supply a bit more solid tripod, I was looking at the SmartEQ but not on those legs.

I suppose Altair would not supply a cube on the next tripod up for a few extra pennies?

Was going to say the iOptron Smarteq, but that is £450 and I suspect on the same flimsey tripod as the Cube.

iOptron really do need to supply a bit more solid tripod, I was looking at the SmartEQ but not on those legs.

I suppose Altair would not supply a cube on the next tripod up for a few extra pennies?

Then we're getting into budget creep again and it is EQ - Not Alt/Az. Altair do have some ex-display Cube-Pros, fully warrantied at £319. They say that's £80 off the RRP, which it is. Thing is, they sell a virginus intactum brand new one at £369. Still, 10% is 10% and I could do with a couple of their/GSO self centering adaptors to leave on 1.25" EPs.

Whilst I'm 'between jobs' I may take a wander up there, to feel the width, so to speak. I'd like to see the ZEQ-25GT whilst I'm there too, although it's a bit rich for this purpose.

Russell

I imagine anything can fit anything with a bit of imagination. :)

I had noted that, but probably should have said the 80mm Triplet weighs 3.4kg, before diagonals, EPs, finders, etc. The 4kg of the Allview, clever though it is, is probably sailing a bit close to the wind. The SW AZ GOTO and iOptron Cube Pro quote 5kg and Celeston 6/8SE 6kg.

Currently I'm wavering between the iOptron (very small) and Celestron, assuming it'll at least get near zenith.

Russell

Just a quick update; I'm viewing an iOptron Minitower v2.0 on Saturday. Okay, at £550 it's a massive case of budget creep, but then that's pretty much par for the course with most of my purchases and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that count. ;)

Allegedly, it can dual mount up to 25lbs with the standard dovetail saddles. The one I'm looking at, already has one Altair TMS puck and saddle, plus an upgraded tripod - the standard one is already 50% larger than the Pro - which allegedly increases load potential further. This is temptation in the hands of a fool, but the thought of the 80mm Apo plus Herschel Wedge for white light on one side, with Lunt LS35 on the other is appealing for obvious reasons.

Like I'd stop at the 35mm.....

Russell

Archived