Focussing with 150PDS

Igwiz

Hi All, (Hope this is the right sub-forum)

Having taken delivery of my new 150PDS, I was slightly surprised in trying to focus with the supplied 2" eyepiece, the focusser had to be fully out and the eyepiece itself had to be only just inserted, not snugly in.  Does this sound right?  I would not have expected the supplied eyepiece to be at the absolute limit of the focus range?

Many thanks,

Ig

You will need a extension to sort out the problem, If you were to put a DSLR in the focuser it should work ok without a extension, i use a Baader 2" click-lock they cost more than the normal type but make for quick, precise EP changing with no fiddle screws to tighten....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-inch-click-lock-cl-extension-47mm.html

The "problem" is that the PDS is for attaching a DSLR and getting the DSLR sensor to sit at the focal plane. So everything is in closer.

An eyepiece is the other way, foir visual you get the 150P  and the focusr on that sits the eyepiece at the correct position.

So you have in effect the P for visual and the PDS for imaging and not much overlap.

As mentioned to move the eyepiede out more you can simply add an extension tube, but you cannot move the DSLR in on the 150P so there is the simple work round with the PDS but not with the P.

Cool. That makes sense.  As I bought for imaging, looks like a I made the right choice! Will use an extension for the eyepieces.  Just needed to check I wasn't being stupid or the optics were faulty!

The focusser defaults to the 2" "hole" which I put the eyepiece in.  I have used my 1.25" plossls in the adaptor and they work ok but the focusser still sticks out a long way!

Many thanks.

Archived