Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Assitance Purchasing 1st Scope

Hi all, I'm looking to get my 1st scope over the next couple of months or so. I'd like a scope that will be pretty portable as it will be coming on holiday with the g/f & I and 4 large dogs, and will need to fit into our Nissan Pathfinder, as to what I want to view I really don't have any preferences yet so just want a decent 1st scope. So was wondering does anyone have any experience with any of these?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/omni-xlt-series/celestron-omni-xlt-127.html

I was told by the guy at RVO that they are good scopes (but surprisingly they didn't sell very many). I was thinking one of these and getting some extra lenses

Or pushing my budget a little would either of these Meade ETX-125 AT f/15 Maksutov Cassegrain UHTC http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Meade-ETX-125-AT-f-15-Maksutov-Cassegrain-UHTC-1.html or a Celestron NexStar 6SE  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-series/celestron-nexstar-6se.html

If I got either of the latter 2 I'd not be able to get any extras so am a little unsure if a cheaper scope with some after market lenses and/or filters would give better views.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for a smaller but high quality scope I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Problem is nothing does everything perfectly, and then you get told that one aspect is better then another and wherever the most noise comes from is often what you get. That means you get a scope that does one thing good and the rest not so good.

You do not need the biggest aperture to see 98% of just about everything, actually quite a small aperture will do.

In many respects the same holds for magnification, sort of 150x to 200x will do again.

In both there will be bits you cannot see, or cannot see well.

Good all round to me is an 80, 90 or 100mm refractor, but I am counting posts before the inevitable.

As you have been to RVO or spoken to them look at their 90mm Achro refractor at 800mm focal length it fits.

Someone here has a Tal 100 for sale that would be good but you cannot see it and I suspect I cannot pass on more details of who to contact.

One aspect of the one you linked to is the nature of the design gives a narrow field of view and without motors ot goto ti track objects I suspect they are sort of difficult or impossible to use easily.

It's so very hard to give meaningful advice, what suits one person may not be good for another.

You mention "pretty portable" that too means very different things to different folks....

How about either visiting a local club for a few sessions, chatting with the members, perhaps (if you are lucky) observing with them, or a showroom with stock for you to see first hand.

Best not to buy unseen from the 'net, unless you are very certain it's the right kit for you.

Maybe some bino's, learn the sky, take your time is best - buy in haste may disappoint.

Regards, Ed.

I have to agree with both the above posts. A good refractor along with a decent pair of binoculars is a great starting point. In fact many observers choose a good refractor as their main if not their only scope.Opticstar in Manchester offer a 4" achromatic refractor for around £165 (tube assembly only), but it does come with 50mm finder scope, tube rings, dovetail bar and carrying handle. The Tal refractor already mentioned has a good reputation for good optics, or you could look at Skywatcher refractors in the 102mm or 120mm apertures with mounts. Refractors are tough and virtually maintainance free. They also give great low power, wide field views of many of the finest deep sky objects, while also providing excellent high power lunar and planetary views. In other words they are great all round performers.

If there's a local astro club or society, you may be able to find a mentor who will be happy to show you how to observe the night sky. When I was a teenager I was lucky enough to find a local astronomer who used nothing but a large pair of binoculars in a run off roof observatory. He showed me where many of the deep sky objects were. I would then go home and find the same objects in my own broken pair of 12X60 binoculars that I'd mounted on a home made wooden tripod. It was a great way to learn the art of observing.

Mike

I wouldn't go overboard on tailoring your purchase to suit your holiday arrangements, presumably this will be a small part of the year, the rest of the time you would be using it at home. If you are just starting astronomy as a pastime then the advice to get a binocular for the holiday and a telescope for home use is good advice.   :smiley:  

Hi all, I'm looking to get my 1st scope over the next couple of months or so. I'd like a scope that will be pretty portable as it will be coming on holiday with the g/f & I and 4 large dogs, and will need to fit into our Nissan Pathfinder, as to what I want to view I really don't have any preferences yet so just want a decent 1st scope. So was wondering does anyone have any experience with any of these?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/omni-xlt-series/celestron-omni-xlt-127.html

I was told by the guy at RVO that they are good scopes (but surprisingly they didn't sell very many). I was thinking one of these and getting some extra lenses

Or pushing my budget a little would either of these Meade ETX-125 AT f/15 Maksutov Cassegrain UHTC http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Meade-ETX-125-AT-f-15-Maksutov-Cassegrain-UHTC-1.html or a Celestron NexStar 6SE http://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-series/celestron-nexstar-6se.html

If I got either of the latter 2 I'd not be able to get any extras so am a little unsure if a cheaper scope with some after market lenses and/or filters would give better views.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for a smaller but high quality scope I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Hi Wordy.

I've responded to your similar enquiry on your other thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236397-getting-started-and-managing-expectations/#entry2568668

Some great advise(in both threads!) so far thank you all!

Looking at it, it would be a bit daft tailoring my start into what I hope will be a long term hobby to what I can squeeze into the car to go on a holiday with. So a pair of decent binoculars sounds like a pretty good idea. 

I do plan on going along to the local astronomy society (Mexborough & Swinton Astronomical Society) I've already been in touch and plan on going along to their next event. 

I mentioned portable as to fit in the car going on holiday, but that's out then something bigger & heavier wouldn't be a problem. From what I can tell, DSO Astrophotography looks like the direction I'd like to head in long term, but to get my feet wet in the meantime I'd like to get a decent scope that wouldn't be completely wasted on going out to the garden for a couple of hours in the evening.

Archived