First ever image - And it's Solar

Macavity

Well, couldn't resist: New Webcam, new solar filter, through a dirty window, bushes and intermittent cloud - But enough excuses.... "Pour encourager les autres"? Now to get longer cables, fix a light leak(?!?) and work out how to do this stuff properly. :rolleyes:

solar1.jpg

Oi, I'll have you know they ARE sunspots, Mate. See: http://www.spaceweather.com/ (at least I think so!) :mrgreen:

In truth, a bit of a mixed result. I've clearly a long way to go yet. I sense the Acuter Webcam is lacking light with this particular solar filter - probably why the image is white, rather than orange! Also some (characteristic) Achromat [sT102] violet halo? Gawd knows where some general light is leaking in - It goes away when I used a Black Cloth, like old style photographers! I need to think a bit about a "focussing strategy" too - I suspect the K3CCDTool focussing ultility might help with that. Still reading the manual as yet. So much to ponder - Only one lifetime... :rolleyes:

No, not at all, Naz - Really, I was laughing (or at least being ironic)! :)

Now I'm confused tho' - How DID you do that, CW? Is that one YOU made earlier, with your Acuter setup? :rolleyes:

Will have to think a bit more about pre-processing (camera) adjustment and post-processing, I suspect. Perhaps resist the temptation to immediately "sharpen" things arbitrarily! But looks like there will be a fair bit of opportunity for me to practice. (Checks out approaching band of rain). :lol:

Thanks, JGS - Almost turning into my personal "blog" (craves forum indulgance [LOL]). Tried to repeat the process yesterday, but got stuck with "finding" (yeah I know) - But today going to make myself a projection Solar finder:

http://www.dd1us.de/Downloads/a%20collection%20of%20solar%20finder%20designs%200v4.pdf

:nono: Came horribly close to doing the "unpardonable" (and medically irreparable!) yesterday, while juggling my solar filters and the Webcam. (And I *did* think I was being careful!) No melodrama, but - "Felt the (considerable) heat" (on my cheek?) yet thankfully didn't "see" most of it! Salutory experience, none the less...

But, more positively, hope my "Solar Finder" will easily (and safely) place the Sun with in the 3.5 Deg field of my ST102 - And this will act as a "finder" for the MAK, on the other side of my "Giro 3" thingy. :rolleyes:

Archived