Skywatcher EP advice

guitardave

Hi all, I'm looking for a new EP for looking at planets. The 25mm wide angle EP supplied with my Skywatcher 90 gives really sharp images, whilst the 10mm is zoomed in more, but the image is nowhere near as sharp. I have come across these Skywatcher Planetary UWA EP's available in 6, 5, 4 and 2.5mm. Would any of these do the job? Anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-planetary-9mm-uwa-eyepiece/p1554509

Also this one looks interesting:-

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-6mm-ultrawide-eyepiece-1-25-inch-31-7mm-format-/p10677

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice at all this kind of thing!

Many thanks,

Dave

The first the Planetary looks like and is described much the same as a clone of the TMB Planetary's that are around under several brand names. These seem to vary in quality so where the Skywatcher one falls is a bit of a guess.

I have 2 planetary's and never use them, I have the BST Starguideers that easily outperform them.

The second one's the UWA's I cannot identify, the description/specification says very little, as in the amount of glass and in what configuration. Found them: Made by Barsta and specified there as 65 degree eyepieces and the focal lengths are fractionally different by 1/2mm for 2 of them.

I suspect the Planetary's are also Barsta as the Barsat ones have that body shape not the "normal" TMB planetary shape.

Barsta do tend to make pretty good eyepieces, they produce the BST's and a few of the Celestron and Astro-Tech ranges. So I would giuess well made.

I am assuming the scope is the Evostar 90 ???

At f/10 I would not bother with the 5, 4 and 2.5mm, and the 6mm is a maybe.

An 8mm and a 10mm will be OK, do not realistically expect above 150x, which is the 6mm.

However for planets except Mars a 7mm is enough if the scope is as I think, giving 128x.

Cannot suggest the BST's, simply not the selection at the lower end, the Celestron X-Cels do nve a 7mm and 9mm but cost is close to double.

Of the 2 you are looking at I would myself go for the 9mm and 6mm UWA, with the expectation tht the 6mm may not get much use.

HOWEVER if the eyepiece is the Barsta then Barsta say the focal length is 6.5mm and the other is 9.5mm, Meaning the shorter eyepiece may just be a bit more usable then I anticipate.

Isn't the world of eyepieces confusing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

If the scope is not the Evostar 90, say what it is and we can go through it all again. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hi Dave,

You don't necessarily need a widefield as not appropriate for planets.  The Baader Classic Orthos are good for planetary use and recommended by many here, link:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

Failing this, my all-time favourite for viewing planets is the William Optics 6mm SPL, highly recommemnded, with good eye-relief, better than the orthos if this is important to you.  Link:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-spl-eyepiece.html

I have the 2.5 Planetary. It's nicely made. *But*....I can really get personal with my floaters using it. Needs perfect conditions ime, but even then I'd still have floaters gatecrashing the party....The 2.5 makes a great microscope!

My least used eyepiece.

That's really helpful, thank you. I may have a look at the 9mm UWA then. I can see this becoming an expensive hobby haha!

And yes, to answer your question, it is the Skywatcher Evostar 90. I am really pleasantly surprised by just how good it is. I can't believe the detail that I saw on Jupiter. I am hooked! Looking forward to observing Saturn when it is next in view :-)

Although the William Optics 6mm SPL is interesting, but quite a bit more expensive. I guess you get what you pay for?...

Am I correct in thinking that my telescope may struggle with 6mm EP's though? In what way? Image too dark, or struggle with focus? Sorry for all these questions, as I said this is all new to me, and quite a learning curve! I appreciate your advice :-)

Also what was meant by "However for planets except Mars a 7mm is enough if the scope is as I think, giving 128x". What is different about Mars, and what would be recommended to view it?

Dave, if you would like athe best value eyepiece in the country look on Astroboot, they have the Revelation 9mm plossl for £10, its the bargain of the century first item top left it says GSO but its the same and branded revelation

Although the William Optics 6mm SPL is interesting, but quite a bit more expensive. I guess you get what you pay for?...

Am I correct in thinking that my telescope may struggle with 6mm EP's though? In what way? Image too dark, or struggle with focus? Sorry for all these questions, as I said this is all new to me, and quite a learning curve! I appreciate your advice :-)

Also what was meant by "However for planets except Mars a 7mm is enough if the scope is as I think, giving 128x". What is different about Mars, and what would be recommended to view it?

Hi Dave, your scope will not struggle with the WO SPL 6mm, it will give a comfortable 150x, admittedly I use it with a 100mm frac and find it perfect, I bought the ep quite cheaply on Ebay a few years ago, but you are right, it is a bit expensive, but a very comfortable ep to use.

Archived