Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thumb screw panic !!!! help wanted

I want to collimate my celestron astromaster 130 eq .. but when i tried i saw that no matter how hard i try the big silver screws do not move at all.. should i use any tool ???im scared it itll cause a big crack in the mirror.. what should i do ... i unscrewed the locking screw the small silver ones and tried hard to move the thumb screws but to no use .... my heart is in my throat .... help mee

!

Thank you

Clear skies

Saif

This could be a stupid suggestion, but nothing to lose by trying: perhaps try using a hair dryer for a minute just to change temp (if you were orig trying in the cold). Otherwise try cooling outside for a while of it is at room temp. If you are turning anticlockwise this might be something just to try before trying anything more forceful? Hope you find a solution...

This could be a stupid suggestion, but nothing to lose by trying: perhaps try using a hair dryer for a minute just to change temp (if you were orig trying in the cold). Otherwise try cooling outside for a while of it is at room temp. If you are turning anticlockwise this might be something just to try before trying anything more forceful? Hope you find a solution...

Yeah ill definetly try that ... cauz its winter here .... hmmm lets see wt happens ... thanx

They may just be very tight - if your uncertain use some grips but make sure you are turning the screw so that it will UNTIGHTEN - that way you cant really do any damage.

You are right maam ... its damn too tight for any human to open but i have to see wether turning it clockwise or anticlockwise will untighten it ..

Thank you

Anti clockwise looking from the back - so if you are looking at the back of the scope the screw should turn anti-clockwise to loosen it.  You could try with some rubber gloves on which will give you more grip.  Failing that some form of grip tool (what we we could mole grips in the UK) which have a rounded inner face, if done lightly it should not mark the screw but you can protect the screws finish by wrapping some tape around it first).

I did collimate someones 130EQ a long time ago and the screws were very tight.

IF you decide to use grips, Remember the threaded section is only thin (about 6-8mm) so don't go to hard otherwise you may end up with half bolt. Are these the locking bolts or the adjustment bolts? the locking bolts need loosening first.Good luck.

Anti clockwise looking from the back - so if you are looking at the back of the scope the screw should turn anti-clockwise to loosen it.  You could try with some rubber gloves on which will give you more grip.  Failing that some form of grip tool (what we we could mole grips in the UK) which have a rounded inner face, if done lightly it should not mark the screw but you can protect the screws finish by wrapping some tape around it first).

I did collimate someones 130EQ a long time ago and the screws were very tight.

It is damn too hard i have to use some tools .... my fingers are hurting soo baad...... ohhkkk so its anticlockwise

Thank you

IF you decide to use grips, Remember the threaded section is only thin (about 6-8mm) so don't go to hard otherwise you may end up with half bolt. Are these the locking bolts or the adjustment bolts? the locking bolts need loosening first.Good luck.

Yeah im tooo scared cauze i cant afford to lose anything ....

Archived