Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser 70/700 - What eyepieces can see what ?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what eyepieces would be able to capture ( by capture i mean for me to see not a camera).

When i got this scope (which is my first) it came with a 20 mm and 4 mm. Obviously i have used the 20 mm for sightings of the moon and i have been happy.

But the 4 mm seems slightly useless.

Anyway, i was wondering what is capable with a 10 mm etc. And what is the best option for i.e. Jupiter.

I'm most probably going to purchase a 10 mm eyepiece anyway but i wanted your guys opinions on what else i should get.

Thanks

Using the f number as a guide, yours is f/10 then a 10mm would be a reasonable start, giving 70x which should be fine for Jupiter.

Possibly then a 7mm for 100x, but, strangely, not sure this would accomplish a great deal.

A 12mm may be useful, simply sometimes the 10mm may not work. Then 25mm or 30mm for wider viewing.

The question is: Is a 5mm or 6mm worth considering for looking at Saturn?

5mm giving 140x and a 6mm 117x (1mm difference and a big change in magnification).

To go further it will be necessary to give an idea of budget per eyepiece. Just a wide choice.

Could suggest GSO/Revelation/Vixen plossl's, or BST Starguiders, Celestron X-Cel's.

Its not just  eyepieces my friend, its the complete package,  telescope,  eyepiece and your own eyes that matter. get that right, and things will look much better.

I doubt there' much wrong with your young eyes, so that's one factor out of the way. Most telescopes come with a basic supply of eyepieces that  work and little more, but you can purchase better.  Then there's the telescope? 

You could buy 4 BST Starguiders, like I have ( and their very good on my scope ) but I doubt they will improve the results your desire from  your 70mm telescope! especially if your looking for fine details on Jupiter? By all means follow the guidance of ronin where he states the focal ratio is used as a guide to your highest magnification eyepiece, this is good advice, and  any eyepiece/s you purchase in the 1.25" size can be used in ANY telescope, if/when you upgrade, but for the same price of the 4 Starguiders, you could have a 6" 150P Skyliner telescope, which would give you better results than the 70mm scope, and in all probability, even make use better of the Bresser eyepieces you already own. This being down to the ability of the telescope.

The Bresser is your first telescope, and you should try to learn and get as much use from it, as is possible, during your early relationship with the telescope. Buying newer eyepieces may/may not improve your images, but if they don't, then your stuck ( for the moment) with better eyepieces, but  unusable, until another scope is available.

Consider both options. I know your young, and may not have the finances to just go out and buy what you want, but don't rush, and ask as many questions as you wish, we won't tire.

as a relative newb myself this might not be relevant, but I hope it helps. Our 9yo was given a 100p reflector for Christmas and it seems quite capable but after a few nights we didn't know want to spend lots of money on it (in case it never got used) nor did we really know  what to do with it - like you the smaller eyepiece was not so good, partly I suspect because we wear glasses and eye relief on 10mm or less is hopeless for us, we replaced that with a "long eye relief" 9mm of ebay.

The most useful things we have got so far were:

Turn Left at Orion book from the local library (plus a bunch of pretty books with Hubble space picture in that look nothing like the sky we see) - gives us stuff to go find

A "Stargazer" kit (a full size planisphere, star wall chart and observing guide) £3.50 from Astroboot - its our roadmap

A Revelation 1.5x / 2x Barlow (also from Astroboot  hidden in the misc section not Astro section), for £15. This would be really useful for you if you don't have a Barlow, you will double the power of your 20mm to 10mm equivalent - and any other eyepieces you buy

Most recently we got a copy of Deep Sky Observers Guide from The Works for £3 and I am beginning to suspect we need more knowledge than we need more telescope / kit

Archived