Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to Modify your canon 350D for astro use....

Tim

1) Get someone else to do it.

2) Pay them good money.

Have just completed the conversion of my 350D. For anyone who has fingers the size of, well, fingers, then I'd suggest getting somebody to do it who you can sue.

That has to be the most gruelling, intense period of concentration since trying to figure out Pythagorus' theorem in 1984.

I'm sure that the kids (and probably the neighbours) have learned some choice new expressions, I have soldered my fingernails together, spread glue all over the new 50 quid filter from Mr Hinds, burnt the lounge table, and strained several relationships. My dog will NEVER talk to me again, and I think I shall be celibate for at least a month.

The thing didnt work first time, stripped it again.

Didnt work next time, stripped it again.

3rd time lucky! Although I'm hoping to give it a proper test with a telescope later, see how much damage the glue has done.

I had no hair on my head left to pull/tear/fall out, so I now have a perfectly shiny forearm and chest. I look like i'm halfway towards batting for the other side so to speak.

Ho Hum, whats next?

:afro:

TJ

I foresaw all this and even though I am used to soldering delicate gear (in another life I am a radio ham!), I decided I did not want to risk ending up with a pretty 'doorstop' - that's why I paid DSLRAstromod to do it for me! It really didn't hurt at all, all my fingers still work and my dog still loves me :afro:

Do any of you with modded cams have a custom white balance set?

Im not sure if I need to because I only work with RAWS and they can be done after the effect so to speak?

It took me 3 hours to do the job. Then 3 hours to fix it :rolleyes:

The main problem is getting the tiny fiddly ribbons into the connectors far enough. This was why it didnt work the first time, and the second time. Easy to diagnose, but very fiddly.

The soldering which I most feared was actually pretty easy, it wasnt wiring, just five blobs on a makeshift heatsink.

Just need a clear night now........ might get up at 3am and see

Oh, one more thing, is the focus at the eyepiece still the same as the focus at the cmos?

Cheers

TJ

Do any of you with modded cams have a custom white balance set?

I de-Bayer my images externally to the camera and have set my own RGB levels to get an accurate daytime image and I then apply this set of levels to my star images.

Oh, one more thing, is the focus at the eyepiece still the same as the focus at the cmos?

I you have the Badder ACF filter installed then autofocus will still work which means that the viewfinder and sensor will agree on the focus point.

Archived