Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which laser starpointer?

Hi guys,

Could you help me from spending on the wrong thingy?

I think I need a laser starpointer for my imaging setup. Because, despite accurate polar alignment, I'm always off my first star slew - so much so, that i can't even see it straight away in my 9x50 finder scope. Now normally I would have cameras attached to scope and finder, but I can't find the first star and have thus begun my imaging trek with eyepiece and finder scope...

I'm not sure what the problem is - once I sync my stars with Stellarium and get my PHD running I can image for 10min and have no problems. Just the first slew is always off by a mile.

Since I don't want to keep swapping around camera equipment all the time I thought about buying a laser pointer. But how would I then attach it, as I'm using the finder shoe for my guide setup. Is it time to piggy back? Are there actually tube rings that fit a 9x50? (I think baader might have some)

Mhm - sorry for rambling on.

Any thoughts?

A 1mW laser should be enough but in general 5mW seem to be the norm, the 1mw sometimes has trouble in the very cold or damp atmosphere. I believe you can buy a reasonably priced mounting unit with a camera cable release, that will fit a finder shoe, from the same outlet that supplies the BST eye pieces, sorry just can`t remember the company at the moment, but I am sure someone will be along and tell you  :)

It was Sky`s The Limit, their new model is now somewhat expensive, with the wrong fitting, Rother Valley have a reasonably priced, unit with a shoe fitting, HTH :)

Hi Russ

With regards to your first alignment star being off. Next time you fire it up at the first alignment point dont use the buttons on the hand control or EQ mod if your using it. Instead to center the star slacken off the clutches and manually center the star in your finder then lock up the clutches and press enter. then carry on as normal the next alignment star should be in view.

Do you park the scope at the end of your session? if so when you do the park point will have moved due to the manual clutch adjustment. So long as you adopt this as your new start position the next time you use it then the alignment stars should be pretty close.

John

Cool idea! Will try that - I thought as well, since I set up new every time, there's always a new starting point I'm coming from. Despite the fact that I start from a 90 degree home position (always am using a water level on the side of the mount).

Mhm - that's making me think now - I always start from a new home position actually, because after polar alignment I always use the water level on the side of the mount until that's pointing straight. That's probably not very helpful I wonder.

I find a RDF good enough to get the first star aligned, and I never touch the cluches, always use eqmod to jog the position.

Living under the flight path to RAF Northholt, firing a laser into the sky probably isn't conducive to my continued heath and well-being  :cool:

Archived