NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

There's a little black spot on the Sun today...

Astroman

...it's a very nice group, actually. I took a look Saturday through the C8 and Thousand Oaks Type II filter, but not the F/14. I figure it was about 32,000 miles across, with individual spots about the size of Earth. Nice penumbral activity and some plages visible between spots.

It should be smack in the middle of the Sun today if you have a chance to see it. Unfortunately, I probably won't see the Sun again until the weekend-work schedule sucks, but if you get a chance, let me know how it looks. :sunny:

Nabban: I feel the same about rain-we'll break a consecutive dry spell on Saturday-102 days without measurable rain. I've heard of rain. I just hope my daughter can see some before I die. :?

Anyway, the active region I mention, AR 848, is capable of a C-class flare, but it probably won't be enough to cause significant aurora activity. Remember though, that predicting aurora or solar flares is something like predicting the weather-only from 93 million miles away. :shock:

Hi Astroman, I would swop you some cloud and rain for a warm still night, just the promise of one this year would be great.

I have seen low level aurora here when there was susposed to be none, Check out the merry dancers in wide field, these were captured last year when there was slightly greater activity. I spotting consider aurora when the suns activity is low, like trying to win the lottery.

nabban

I'm off work today, so if I can I will!!

Early morning was clear (I knew I should have got up at 4am!!), but there is some high drift cloud around now. I'll keep my eye out and you lot informed :lol:

Hi Astroman, I would swop you some cloud and rain for a warm still night, just the promise of one this year would be great.

I have seen low level aurora here when there was susposed to be none, Check out the merry dancers in wide field, these were captured last year when there was slightly greater activity. I spotting consider aurora when the suns activity is low, like trying to win the lottery.

nabban

nabban: I'll take that swap! Anytime. Let me know which of ~150 clear, still Arizona nights you'd like and we'll see what we can do. Q: Does DHL deliver weather? :lol: :sunny:

I've seen aurora from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, all about the same latitude as you guys. When the Sun's active, it's hard not to see it. There's almost always enough energy in the solar wind to cause it. Almost. Most interested people only notice when it's energetic to the point of potential damage to satellites or the odd "solar storm".

I even saw it from Arizona a couple years ago. There's a page on my website showing some pics I took of it. Just the high altitude red glow, with occasional green stripes overhead, but it was spectacular, especially when you consider my latitude of ~33º N!

Great pics on Merry Dancers thread. I'm wondering where you got the title?

Hi Astroman, thanks, I will ask DHL or Amtrak to see about the weather. Up at 59 degrees north we get a lot more aroura than even the lads in the south of England at about 52 degrees North. Mind you I have seen photos from Alaska and Northern Norway that are truely spectacular.

As for the name "Merry dancers", I was waiting for some one to ask, it is an old Scottish term for the 'Northern Lights'. I have heard tails and myths about the meaning of each type of display, but none have any solar connection.

nabban

ps. thanks for the clear skies last night, and not too cold, only need 4 layers on, and 2 of them were fleeces.

You're welcome, nabban. And thank you for the "threat" of rain today. They actually predicted some for us, but it hasn't materialized. :?

So, Merry Dancers is Scottish. I'd heard the term from someone in Minnesota, but forgot where he was from. A great freind of mine, now passed on, was of Norwegian descent and had many stories of aurora displays. Of course, they never connected the Sun to the displays, since there hadn't been any solar observations in Norwegian legendary times. Some interesting lore, nonetheless. (I'll be darned if I can remember them through the fog of years and alcohol, though...) If I remember right though, they used to name different types of displays, much like Eskimos named different characteristics of snow-dozens of disitinct types and names.

Did you look up my aurora photos?

I tried to reply on your 'black spot on the sun' post, but is locked. Any way thanks for the clear skies last night, and you did not over do it on the heat, only 4 layers required, 2 were fleeces. Glad the bit bit of moisture I sent at least got across the pond. I will check if DHL deliver. You can have as much cloud / rain as you want, just pay shipping!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :( :( :( :( :( :(

Yes I had a quick look at your site earlier, my they are very red. I have seen most colours of the spectrum, but not that deep. I will make time to look at your site tomorrow when I should have a bit more time.

Clear skies ( I am back under the blanket )

Nabban

Archived