SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just a quicky with more to come.... Comet Lovejoy

Last night I grabbed 56x120s with the 5DIII and Canon 200/2.8L @ f3.5 ISO 800 with a  77mm IDAS filter on the front...

DSS was playing silly beggars so I have only processed a short stack of  for now and will try pre-processing the raws into tiffs and stacking them instead... Hopefully the full stack with  a lot more data should bring out a bit more in the tail....

So as a place holder ....

16125486650_895de131e7_o.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Comet Stacked 22x120s  ISO800 discontinuities due to clouds

by psmithuk, on Flickr

The gaps in the star trails are from the subs that I rejected because of passing clouds...

The later subs were pretty cloud free so I might just use those for the comet stacked version...

DSS kept hanging showing <1s remaining when I tried Comet+star stacking :(

I might have to do it manually...

Apparently DSS will appear to hang just before the end of the Comet + Stars stacking method so I will just leave it sit there for a while...

The machine an Hex core (12 thread) I7 @ 4.2 GHZ with 64 GB or ram  so hopefully wont have to wait too long...

Peter....

About halfway through the image run the camera "switched" from landscape to "portrait" mode and this possibly caused issues with DSS even though it shouldn't :(

Also any calibration frames tend to cause it to produce a weird result...  So I'm planning to pre-process the raws into Tiffs and see how it get's on then...

Peter...

Archived