Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gopro widefield timelapse of orion and jupitor

Hello guys

heres a quick dirty video i just made with my gopro hero 4 black camera :)   it was 44 frames, each 20 seconds long. F2.8 (as its fixed)     

i havent put it in any software bar Zeitraffer that is a timelapse osx stiching program.    any pointers to improve greatly appreaceated :)

thanks  pete, im really pleased in what the gopro is actually doing   in litterly less than 5 minuits (of which its turn on,  turn on wifi, connect to iphone/ipad, change mode)  turn off wifi, put outside and click start.    i think next time im going to angle it further up so it dosent get the lights of the yard in the frame and leave it for much longer too :)

when the clouds come over it actually rained for 10 mins heavy rain and stopped,  i was panicing getting the scope in forgot bout the gopro but luckly its got a fully waterproof case down to 60metres :)

I like that a lot, I have a secret fascination for timelapse although I've never been that successful myself. The GoPro is a great way to go as DSLR's can sometimes overhead and damage the chip given the amount of frames (which admittedly has never stopped me using my 1100D :grin: ). Although its specifically on meteor showers this is a good little blog on setting up a timelapse.

Will

Thanks Will thats a great site :)   meteor is also another thing i wanna go into :) you can take a continious image of 30 seconds a time 5 sec gap and again (to give it chance to save)   might be useful :)

iv done timelapses before with the 300d and 1100 but they were a right faf,  it took me ages to focus, to get everything right,  table for remote (not to put strain on the plug and dangle) the celestron az tripod (as the lightweight photo one iv been using on gopro is ok for quick shots but can snake slightly with weight) then the fact i worry with the unpredictable weather (you can see how clear it was before and after the cloud and rain)  

Thanks Will thats a great site :)   meteor is also another thing i wanna go into :) you can take a continious image of 30 seconds a time 5 sec gap and again (to give it chance to save)   might be useful :)

iv done timelapses before with the 300d and 1100 but they were a right faf,  it took me ages to focus, to get everything right,  table for remote (not to put strain on the plug and dangle) the celestron az tripod (as the lightweight photo one iv been using on gopro is ok for quick shots but can snake slightly with weight) then the fact i worry with the unpredictable weather (you can see how clear it was before and after the cloud and rain)  

Actually you raise a good point with focusing, my Canon is a real pain and with widefield the only method I've ever found accurate is to do it by hand (it focuses just past infinity so I rack it back a bit, take a shot, rack a bit more, etc until the stars are sharp). I'd love some kind of Baht mask for it! I'm guessing you don't have any of these issues with the GoPro?

the gopro is set strangly, it must have an auto focus as you can do really good closeups as well as really far away without doing anything (apparently its got an intel processer)   its perminantly set at F2.8 so pretty wide and for dark sky images can go up to 30 seconds a frame max :)  my mate who has the vivitar one for images of him "racing" his ford cougar laughs at me after spending all that on the camera, but if the gopro can do that above with LP around and other light being generated i dread to think how well it would preform on a totally dark sky site.

Archived