Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stiff mount

Hi All!!

So, Santa brought me a astromaster 130 eq for crimbo and i'm happy with it, apart from the finder but thats another story, now, when i look on youtube about balancing the scope all the vids show folk with their scopes that seem to be turning and twisting in all directions with little or no effort at all and getting it balanced in a short time, however, mine is somewhat stiff.

What i was wondering is could i lube the mount with wd40 or something to make it move more freely? or is it a big no no?

Thanks in advance.

Martin.

Hi Martin.....WD40 was applied to my  Celestron Powerseeker 127 EQ GEM fittings,  with no visible side effects.

Another solution is to disassemble the telescope and reassemble following the instructions or a YouTube video, and see if there is something awry with your  present set-up.

Which EQ mount is it?

I guess EQ2 but could be EQ3-2.

At least if given someone may have experience of the model.

Next and someone will ask, there are clutches on the mounts to release them so they move, you have undone the clutches. and undone them fully. Usually when released the problem is to stop the scopes falling off and/or hitting bits that cause them damage. Releasing clutches and not much happening is odd.

Thanks for the replies!

I assembled the scope as per instructions included and followed a vid on youtube as well, so i believe i got it right from the off, I've released both the DEC and R.A clutch knobs to the extent that they are nearly out of the mount so  it might require a bit more lube as the actual mount came pre assembled with the motor drive (now removed) so maybe they did'nt put enough on at the factory or none at all.

As regards to the mount model, the only writing on the mount is on a small plastic plug type thing at the rear of the mount that reads CG-3 German equatorial mount.

it should not be stiff as you describe, I wouldn't  spray anything on it, or relube, ask whoever gifted it o you to contact the retailer they bought it from for a warranty repair or replacement.

Regarding the type of mount its a celestron CG3 as the label says (I have the same mount)

Archived