Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

130p-ds vs 200p-ds for video astronomy???

rikroe666

I have been using my 130p-ds with my Samsung scb-2000 and getting some great results, i also have a 200p-ds which is sat not been used due to me been lazy and not wanting to lug it around.

My question is will i see much difference in detail etc using the 200 over the 130 (both F5)?

I was also concerned about the size of the 200 on my mount (Meade LXD75 GOTO) its fine for visual but might wobble a bit too much in a breeze for video?

Thanks 

Hi Jules,

Yeah that's my thoughts, to be honest i don't do much DSO visual after using the camera and when i do i find the smaller scope just fine to use. I think its time for a scope clear out but wanted to make sure i wont be missing out before i do.

I think i will try WO next time out as it will be very stable on the mount.

Hi

For me it's all about the field of view - most. Keep cameras and CCDs used for EAA are relatively low resolution, so we are not limited by the resolving power of our scopes.. We are limited by The light gathering capabilities (focal ratio), limited exposure times and the stability of our mounts.

You are more likley to be able to be able to keep your 130pds steady for the 10s (or longer if you use SSNR) exposure your SCB2000 is capable of..

Although my HEQ5 can handle my C8 I find my self using my 102MAK or INED70 both at about F4 rather than the C8 at F3.3.

The longer focal length with help with smaller targets such as M27 and M1 but you might have problems with stability.

HTH

Paul

Thanks Paul, 

Stability is the reason i haven't tried the 200 yet and to be honest it looks like it might be a waste of time on my mount.

How does the INED 70 perform? I haven't tried my William Optics yet that would be very stable.

Archived