using laptop to control telescope

Hi everyone

many thanks for maontaining this superb sie, so full of knowledge and enthusiasm, it is just great to see!

I am a newbiw t this hobby, and as I said in my introductory 'speech' have gone a bit mad on the gear - I am now the proud wner of:

Meade ETX125EC

Meade LX10

Celestron Nexstar C8SE

Powerpack

Eyepieces X6

Filters galore

filter wheel

9x50 right angled finderscope

Hard cases X2

However, I am trying to get my Celestron to communicate with my laptop (a new Samsung) as I really like the idea of seeing what I am aiming at on the screen, and then asking the 'scope to do its stuff remotely (it just sounds SOOooo cool!)

So, my basic issue is what lead goes where, and how do I get the laptop to speak to the telescope, and which is the best software? I have:

Stellarium

Autostar (for the meade, but ?? if it will control the celestron)

Any help from you guys would be great, and very gratefully received too!

many thanks

Tim

Welcome aboard!

Okay - many people who LOVE Stellarium will also admit that it's rather difficult for using to control their scopes. And many would agree that Cartes du Ciel - Sky Charts in French - is much easier to use for this. CdC is also freeware - and it is in English, at least the link I'll give you - it's a complete sky-charting & planetarium software-program like Stellarium:

http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start

For attaching to your scope, you will likely be needing to construct a virtual serial-adaptor. This is so you can run a cable between scope & computer through a USB port. These items listed/pictured here is what you will likely be needing - but not from Meade. Their price is truly a DSO in and of itself:

http://www.meade.com/products/accessories/software-and-cables.html

I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you what works and is available for you across-the-pond.

Have fun with your new CdC - software,

Dave

If you really must do it then like almost everything it can be done. However, I only use my laptop because I have to. I couldn't afford a 'proper' GOTO telescope kit with control directly at the mount such as the C8SE as you have.

Setting up the laptop and telescope rig can be a real pain in the butt and can be a deterent for an ad-hoc observing session if you can't leave the rig permanently installed.

As a 'forced' laptop user I see no advantage over an on mount controlled setup, quite the opposite. Apart from controlling dew on the telescope I now have to control dew on the laptop, setup takes twice as long and shut down even longer. I suspect also that my laptop won't live as long now that it is subject to wet/dry conditions all the time.

Just some things to think about.

As per Dave, CdC is the control software of choice, providing that you can get the laptop and mount talking to each other. The aspect of being 'cool' soon wears thin, when all I am doing is instructing the telescope where to point. (I can do this myself by hand).

My advice would be to get used to using your already excellent kit and see if you really need what I consider to be a retrograde step.

This is not meant as a negative post, but is from the point of view of an actual laptop user. When I can afford it I will upgrade to a proper GOTO mount and ditch the laptop, but will likely build a shed obsy beforehand.

Laptop and Obsy' = OK, Laptop and picnic table =NOK. IMHO

As above stated, when you have a permanent setup it's really good to control everything with a laptop. But if you're out in the field or garden, it's not that useful. You'll be more comfortable when you install stellarium or CdC and look for targets for the night. Check which targets are where and what you'll see through your eyepieces. You can write a plan for the night which objects to go for.

A laptop controlled mount is really only useful for imaging, not visual

Archived