NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tecnosky Binomount

Mr Flibble

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1795_Technosky-eLLe-binomount-for-big-binoculars-up-to-100mm-aperture.html

I'm looking to invest in a sturdy mount for my TS 20x80 binos. I'm 6 foot so I will place the whole set-up on a tall camera tripod.

I like the look of this because it will provide a stable view with no hand shake or movement, and it has tension adjustments to allow panning in azimuth and altitude.

I use one for my scope and its ok but I never got on with it as a bino mount. It's not the mounts fault it,s the tripod that's the problem. Unless you have angled eye cups you cannot reach zenith comfortably with a tripod. The mount itself is perfectly adequate for 20x 80's but anywhere near zenith and you are going to get neck ache.  if you are going to use a tripod you need a parralleogram mount to be comfortable. Or look in the binocular section at trigger grip and monopods for seated viewing.

I use one for my scope and its ok but I never got on with it as a bino mount. It's not the mounts fault it,s the tripod that's the problem. Unless you have angled eye cups you cannot reach zenith comfortably with a tripod. The mount itself is perfectly adequate for 20x 80's but anywhere near zenith and you are going to get neck ache.  if you are going to use a tripod you need a parralleogram mount to be comfortable. Or look in the binocular section at trigger grip and monopods for seated viewing.

Thanks for the advice about the tecnosky. I'm not too keen to try the monopod system because I'd like a stable view.

Would you recommend a parralelogram like this one:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3882_Orion-USA-Paragon-Plus-Binocular-mount-without-tripod.html

It has some good reviews on amazon, only downside seems to be its size and weight.

I have the Virgo Skymount, which is the precursor of the paragon P-mount. It's fine with 10x50s and tolerable with lightweight 15x70s, but starts to struggle above that. If I am correct, your 20x80 has the central mounting bar; if so, you will need to get a different adaptor for the P-mount, as the L bracket is distinctly unsuitable for centre-bar binoculars (or you could just put another right-angled bend in the supplied bracket).

Thanks Steve.

It seems like the orion paragon is my best option for a good viewing experience. I'm still not entirely convinced because I was drawn to the small, compact nature of the tecnosky. P-mounts just seem so large and unwieldy for transporting around.

Its a shame the Universal Astronomics offerings are insanely expensive this side of the pond, £376 for the Unimount Light from the sole UK supplier! I imported one of these a couple of years back and it would be perfect for your 20x80. However, as you're not totally convinced a P-mount is for you, something like this might be an alternative to the Technosky. While it won't offer the flexability of a Paralellogram mount, it should provide a very stable platform for your 20x80.....

http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Binocular-Mount-Head-ONLY.html

Its a shame the Universal Astronomics offerings are insanely expensive this side of the pond, £376 for the Unimount Light from the sole UK supplier! I imported one of these a couple of years back and it would be perfect for your 20x80. However, as you're not totally convinced a P-mount is for you, something like this might be an alternative to the Technosky. While it won't offer the flexability of a Paralellogram mount, it should provide a very stable platform for your 20x80.....

http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Binocular-Mount-Head-ONLY.html

It suffers from the same problem as the technosky in that zenith is uncomfortable after a while. Its a problem with big observation binoculars . big astro bns have angled eyecups so as to be much more comfortable at zenith. The technosky can handle the size bins but its the issue of comfort that makes this sort of mount unsuitable for ordinary observation bins. Great for plane spotters or birders but not in my opinion for astro

Archived