Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

astrotrac guiding

libraryman

What focal length are you intending on imaging at? If you are imaging with the lens that is on the camera in the picture (50mm?), with proper alignment with the polar scope, you should get at least 20 to 30 minute subs (I'd stop go no longer than 10 minutes anyway).

I have guided in RA before on the AstroTrac, but adding the extra weight of the guide scope only seemed to make the solution "break even"...i.e. without guiding and less weight it was very similar. This was with heavier kit at 500mm and properly balanced. I'd invest more time collimating the polar scope and aligning the polar scope arm if you haven't done so, the polar scope is very accurate when set up correctly.

You can use the guide graphs from PHD2 to see how well polar aligned the mount is, so that could be beneficial.

But you may of course see a vast improvement so give it a try regardless!

I have to agree with Stuart... That lens looks a short focal length, and therefore guiding should not be required. I've been using a Sigma 150mm macro lens, which is a heavy beast, and easily able to hit 5 minute subs unguided. 

Stuart, what adjustments are there on the arm for aligning it ?

Archived