Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Motors For Video Astronony

cuivenion

Hi, I have a Skywatcher EQ5 mount, I was wondering what motors you need for video astronomy. Would a single RA motor be OK? Or is dual motors and/or guiding the way to go? I was looking at getting this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/enhanced-dual-axis-dc-motor-drives-for-eq-5.html

This would have the option to add guiding later if needed, Any advice appreciated.

Hi, I have a Skywatcher EQ5 mount, I was wondering what motors you need for video astronomy. Would a single RA motor be OK? Or is dual motors and/or guiding the way to go? I was looking at getting this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/enhanced-dual-axis-dc-motor-drives-for-eq-5.html

This would have the option to add guiding later if needed, Any advice appreciated.

If you have an equatorial mount, the only strict necessity is a single axis drive - To follow the stars around the pole. To me, the advantage of a tracking scope is immense! Even the most basic Skywatcher drive seem to do a great job. Most people would probably find the other drive useful. You don't have to chop and change from being a "manual guy" to an "automated guy". :p

For VIDEO astronomy, I have yet to need any "guiding". (lol) Even if you want to STACK images, the only real requirement of the mount is that it remains *steady* for the typical maximum integration time (10 sec) of "sense up" cameras. Stacking Software, such as Registax and Deep Sky Stacker (though I haven't used the latter) will effectively "iron out" any "wanderings" of your mount anyway. :)

Hi I have a sky-watcher EQ5 delux mount and i fitted the enhanced motor drives that you have in your picture.

found the drives to work very well with my 6" refractor.

have had some good results using a 70/700 scope as a tracking scope with a web-cam and the shoestring gpusb into the motor hand unit! I have had good tracking using just the motors from around 6 to 10 minuets with a canon 350d camera.

found it to be a good motor drive package.

Hi

Yes, once you have motors, you need to use the handset to slew the scope, or release the clutches and slew manually, using the controller for fine adjustment (assuming you go for the basic tracking motors and not a full goto upgrade.

HTH

Paul

You can still star hop with EAA (video astronomy) too - I sometimes use a short exposure (500ms to 1 sec) and then star hop to my target using a combination of the finder and the very short exposure view from the camera - reminds me of the days when I was visual dobsonian only!  :grin:

Archived