Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SOT23 & TO-220 IC's

Tinker1947

I want to us both types of connection a PCB Strip board so the TO-220 go through the holes and solder underneath, is there a method of attaching the SOT23 with its pads to the same side of the board i have found some pins but not to sure if there are other ways to do this...... FMMT718 SOT23 and LM338T TO-220 I's

Found these pins...???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361032187802?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The pins would be fine if you don't have a height problem in your application.

Or Solder the SOT23 to the pins (cut the pins down if you have to) on the non-copper track side.

An advantage of this is you can solder trailing wires onto the pins on the non-track side rather than on the track side.

Cheapest thing to use is the left over wire from legs of things like resistors/capacitors that have been trimmed down - saves them going to waste!.

A simpler alternative is to design your board so that the SOT23s are mounted on the back. They are quite small and will fit either at 45degrees to three holes in a triangle, or you can solder them so the two legs on one side are against two adjacent tracks and the single leg on the other side has a bit of stiff wire (like resistor leg) to it going to another trace.

Will the FMMT718 SOT23 be dissipating much power (it looks like you're building a power supply)? The reason for asking is that often these SMDs rely on being in close contact to a largeish copper pad to attain their documented power / heat ratings. Having it standing in free air could de-rate the device significantly.

Will the FMMT718 SOT23 be dissipating much power (it looks like you're building a power supply)? The reason for asking is that often these SMDs rely on being in close contact to a largeish copper pad to attain their documented power / heat ratings. Having it standing in free air could de-rate the device significantly.

I have been looking at heatsinks, stick on type which will overlap a bit, the 2 X 718 is for a overvolt cut-out will be on a 5v circuit running about 1 amp....??

Archived