Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gaining optimal results from a Skywatcher Heritage 130p?

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube Dob to use whilst I am suffering from a back injury and not able to make use of my Skywatcher 250px Dob.

I have used the scope a couple of times since I received it on Christmas day, and whilst I am quite pleased with the 'out of the box' results, I do feel that there are a few steps which could possibly be taken to ensure that I am gaining optimal performance from the equipment.

One of the shortcomings of the scope, and possibly a shortcoming of all flextube style scopes is the amount of light pollution which seems to be able to infiltrate the tube, particularly on a brightly moonlit night.  I was wondering what type of shield could possibly be used to prevent this?

One other problem which I have already dealt with was the loose thread of the focusing mechanism on the Heritage.  This was originally extremely loose, to the point where it was virtually impossible to obtain good focus, but has since been remedied with the application of a few turns of PTFE tape and a little lubrication.

Something else which I have noticed, which I'm assuming is a disadvantage of the mono style Dobsonian mount is the amount of spring the scope has when trying to view a small object such as a star or planet.  It is very difficult, even with the scope standing on solid ground to keep the object from darting around in the centre of the frame, even with the lightest touch from the face whilst looking through the eyepiece.  Unfortunately, short of replacing the mount, I can't think of any way around this situation, but it is a shame as it does interfere with an otherwise very good view. 

I also purchased along with the scope a Starguider BST Explorer Dual ED 5mm eyepiece and a set of 4 planetary/lunar filters.  To be honest, I'm so far not overly impressed with either of these purchases.  I've tried the Starguider on both the moon and Jupiter, but I found that the stock Skywatcher 10mm eyepiece was giving me much more pleasing results than the Starguider.  I'm hoping this might be due to poor seeing, but I'll keep trying with it.  I also tried viewing the Mizar binary with the 5mm, but found that it just pronounced the mounts springing problem more, and so even that looked more impressive through the 10mm.

I gave the filters a try very briefly, but found that they hindered focusing, preventing a good sharp image, and so didn't spend long with them.. I will have to spend a bit more time with those.

So, if anyone (maybe existing owners of the Heritage) could recommend and tweaks/upgrades I could make to the scope so that I can at least be obtaining the optimal performance from it whilst I'm unable to use the 250px, I'd be very grateful of your advice.  I do feel that the Heritage is a very good and capable little scope.. I just think that it has a few small areas where possible improvements could be made to give a far better viewing experience than it can give straight from that box.

Thanks for reading

Russ

Hi Russ. First off, congrats on your new scope. Its a great scope once you get used to it. Regarding the issue of light infiltrating the truss tube..........

Most people who own this scope (including myself) overcome this issue by constructing a light shroud which goes around the open truss tube thus enclosing it. The most common way of doing this is by buying a camping mat and some sticky back velcro. If you search the forums for "camping mat), you will most likely find the threads relating to this construction.

The focuser on this scope is also a big issue for owners. Most complaints are that the focuser is too stiff. Some people fix this by squirting a few drops of oil onto the threads and them rotating the hexagonal focuser a few times. You seem to have the opposite problem............its too sloppy. You have dealt with that, so no worries.

The 3rd issue you mention is "spring" or recoil when you accidently bump the scope while observing. I cant say i have noticed this much (if at all). Have you checked to see if all the screws are as tight as they can be?. I'm talking in particular about the screws used to open and lock the truss tube in place.

Here is an image of the type of shroud i mentioned to cut out stray light:

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2KLj9GZfalUyVMAeV1NBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIzYmJ1MW9mBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM0NGQwOTZkOTI5MzkwY2MxNzBiOGRlNmYyZjk2YTczOARncG9zAzEyBGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dheritage%2B130p%26fr%3Dcrmas%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D12&w=1024&h=768&imgurl=stargazerslounge.com%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_06_2012%2Fpost-14434-0-15724300-1340662551.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstargazerslounge.com%2Ftopic%2F154233-heritage-130p-mod%2F&size=411.2KB&name=%3Cb%3EHeritage+130P%3C%2Fb%3E+Mod&p=heritage+130p&oid=44d096d929390cc170b8de6f2f96a738&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas&tt=%3Cb%3EHeritage+130P%3C%2Fb%3E+Mod&b=0∋=21&no=12&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11rimobss&sigb=137o0l8mp&sigi=12ht8t586&sigt=10og3fsgk&sign=10og3fsgk&.crumb=df/JAJCo/dh&fr=crmas&fr2=piv-web

Thanks for the reply.. yes that shroud in your link looks absolutely ideal. Is that one made from a camping mat?  It looks as though it slides inside the tube?  And it's held in place with Velcro?

I'll have to look into that, as the light infiltration was quite troublesome last night in the very bright moonlight!

Yes the focuser was extremely loose on mine straight from the box, but luckily, that was easily remedied with the PTFE tape and a little lubricant for smoothness.

Regarding the spring/recoil; you do surprise me that you haven't noticed the problem, which makes the concept of some sort of loose component on my scope quite feasible.. I will check for that. 

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure whether the springiness was originating from the Dobsonian mount, or maybe even the flextube's extending rods, but it was certainly causing a problem, even when using an overly delicate touch.  It was like trying to look at a star through a pair of binoculars;  even when you've got a really good hold on them, and maybe even resting on something.... no matter now still you try to be, you still can't prevent the object from slightly darting around in the centre of the frame so that you can get a really good look at it.   I will check for any loose items on my scope!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Russ

I made a light shroud using double layer of black kite material but black hobby foam is more popular and is used in the inside approach.

My focuser needs ptfe too.

When observing I find if I use my one hand to both simultaneously hold the base board and then at the same time with the same hand turn the top board there is no wobble.

I have added a setting circle to mine.

My highest mag eye piece is the william optics spl 6mm which trumps the 10mm. Not ever looked through the bst.

Is use I only ever lock the trusses in place when using a webcam. Have not found I need to in general observing.

Archived