Dust I asssume ??

Hi

I attach an example of some doughnut shaped artifacts on an image which I am assuming may be dust somewhere in my optical system !??

Two are really prominent and there are some more which are a lot fainter

They almost look like a star out of focus and I'm sure I can see the usual chunk out of one side of one which I normally see on an out of focus star which is caused by intrusion of the focusser on my 130pds.  I guess this might give a clue as to where they might be located.  

I presume if they were on the camera sensor then they would appear as dark solid dots ?  

Perhaps they are on the primary or secondary mirror ?  

I do use a foam tube on the scope to stop dewing of the secondary but cant think how this may be involved !

I guess flats may help eradicate them but feel I want to physically remove them and would love to know if anyone has had a similar issue and where they may be located and to confirm that they are actually dust !

Thanks for any info  leading to their annihilation !!!

post-36401-0-47858100-1420303432_thumb.j

I have the same problem, two similar spots on my image.  I have attached flat that I took tonite, I have exaggerated to contrast to show these, on my image last nite there were only two.  I rotated the camera several times, made no difference. I cleaned and examined the camera and scope but can see nothing to explain these. Ran the focus thru its full range, no effect either.

Scope is a Celestron EDGE HD 11, camera is a mallincam Universe.  Would like to know what i can to to get rid of these as well.

Flat is below

TS_19.jpg

If you rotate just the cam and they move with it, they are on the cam. I assume that's what you mean by rotating cam made no difference. If focus adjustment does not change them, then again indicates they are on the cam.

Thanks for the comments - the link to the calculator you posted Andrew should help to point to the surface to be cleaned - just need to look up some facts re my camera now ! Thanks very much.  (So you obviously deny playing for Indianapolis then !)

Ah yes, must be me! There's a couple of mistakes on the website though, they have my height wrong and seem to have divided my age by 2...

Bet you'd make a better-looking QB tho.............. :D

(OK OK, I confess - I'm a longtime Broncos fan)

Archived