Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody else use Edmund RKE's?

orion61

I am curious, does anybody beside me still use Edmund RKE eyepieces as their main eyepieces?

I cut my teeth on eyepieces with tiny fields of view over 40 years ago so I have been fine with 45-55 degree fields.

The think I love the most about these is the fact I haven't viewed through another eyepiece that had

a brighter or sharper view in the center of the field. Mine are older vintage oculars. I have owned a couple newer

versions that weren't  as good.  Especially the field stops were very jagged.

The are better on F6 and slower systems, F8-F12 are perfect! Plus I love the 28 with the floating effect if you pull your eye back a bit

and slightly de-focus your eye, It looks like a Hologram.

I don't wear eyeglasses but I can see an issue with the 8mm if you do. I also don't care for the Edmund Plossl's.

The one thing about the complete set I do not like is the 2.5X Barlow, no set screw and too long...

What are your thoughts on this crazy Yank?......

Oh yes Happy New Year to my Euro Brothers and Sisters..

Happy new year  :icon_santa: !

I have the 32mm RKE. A weird eyepiece as it is advertised as 68 degrees AFOV and it is actually 82 degrees. Has a field stop larger than my Nagler 31mm actually hence a slightly larger FOV.

It weights a lot less than my N31 but of course you pay the price in fast scopes. On axis it is actually sharper (a lot less glass in the way) but off axis it needs f6 to show "acceptable" off axis performance and improves as the f ratio becomes longer.

Slightly ticked that there is no cap for the lens so I keep it in a small protective plastic bolt case. But I love the huge piece of glass and its light weight. Don't use it much but there is a new incoming scope (f10 Mak Cass) and it should shine with that scope.

I'd love to try the 28mm actually because everybody raves about this floating effect but I know that the restricted FOV will not do it for me though. But still, I would love to view through the eyepiece for the experience.

DSC 0398

DSC 0397

And by the way, the EUR:USD exchange is killing us here when it comes to buying astrogear!!!

They appear over here occasionally but I suspect that the TV Plossl sort of pushed them out.

Just guess they were not common whereas the TV's were, so people bought TV's.

Nicos - I cannot see the Euro:US$ exchange getting better for some time. :eek: :eek:

They appear over here occasionally but I suspect that the TV Plossl sort of pushed them out.

Just guess they were not common whereas the TV's were, so people bought TV's.

Nicos - I cannot see the Euro:US$ exchange getting better for some time. :eek: :eek:

Glad I bought most of my US sourced gear already...

My favorite RKE is 28mm!

...it provide beautifull floating effect, which noone eyepiece cant do. He also have very neutral toned image which I prefeer!

...he is also very light, which is big + for binoviewers!

Worst RKE is 8mm, which have nad eye releaf, and lens is deep in metal housing and this makes this eyepiece very uncomfortable. 8mm also have somewhat warmer image, and have some internal reflection on bright object. I test it many times, on many object, and always same story...

RKE 21mm is my second best! RKE32mm is really nice, with very wide FOV, and much lighter than N31.

I had an old 28mm RKE, well used but optically A+.

The middle to lower body was matt annodised, or simply had 'weathered' due to it's age. Lettering was inscribed rather than screen printed, which is more common on many modern day manufacturers 'pieces.

I'd guess this was of an 80's vintage?

:)

post-381-0-18359400-1420289809_thumb.jpg

Edmunds Optics still sells them. Not very expensive either. I do doubt they could match or outclass TV Plössls or BCOs which sell at a similar price. The 32mm Erfle-like EP is a different matter. Much more expensive, but there is this mismatch between stated FOV and field-stop diameter. If the latter is correct it has a massive 84° FOV. At $225 list price, that is not bad at all. Not at all sure how well it would work in fast scopes, however.

Edmunds Optics still sells them. Not very expensive either. I do doubt they could match or outclass TV Plössls or BCOs which sell at a similar price. The 32mm Erfle-like EP is a different matter. Much more expensive, but there is this mismatch between stated FOV and field-stop diameter. If the latter is correct it has a massive 84° FOV. At $225 list price, that is not bad at all. Not at all sure how well it would work in fast scopes, however.

Having both the Edmunds 32mm and the Nagler 31mm and tested them side by side, I can confirm that the Edmunds does indeed have a larger field stop than the Nagler. The Nagler field stop is stated in literature as 42mm and the Edmunds as 42,7 and I believe this based on my observing to be accurate.

Simply don't use it in fast scopes. Go below f5 and the views are downright nasty, but from f6 and slower, it shines as you progressively move to a longer focal length. I bought mine used for $110 and it stays with me as a novelty item. The only downside is that it is not threaded for filters but I have an extension tube for it that is threaded so problem solved.

Edmund Optics UK lists the RKE's at £68 and the 32mm WF at £180.

From memory their shipping costs aren't cheap.

:(

They have gone up to $89.00 here in the US. Too high as their quality has fallen off. It took me about 3 years to collect mine.

If I can find a few more Celestron/Vixen Silver Top plossls I plan on putting mine up for sale For $250.00 for the full set, plus the barlow, also have an extra 15mm for bino viewer.

But mine are early RKE's except one which is about late 90's.  If someone has the lenses I need (17mm and 32). I would trade in..

Archived