NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 6000 80mm scope question

Hi, I'm interested in buying this scope as its small and I wanted to do some widefield astrophotography, but I noticed this doesn't come with a finder scope and was wondering if anyone can tell me why, as the 115mm and the 130mm versions come with it?

Thanks!

I agree a finder is nice but the FOV of this scope with anything like a long F/L eyepiece will be almost that of a finderscope so not really necessary. I have a 70mm 420mm F/L scope, not the same I agree but I use that on it's own with a 31mm eyepiece and a 6 degree plus FOV.

If you find you really need a finder why not consider on of the red dot type.

Tend to agree though for the price, it should have one with it.

Alan.

Thanks for the reply guys, it makes sense in the fact that its an f6 and like Alan Potts said which almost has the same fov as a finder but I'm still surprised that meade diddnt include one. Iv trolled around the internet and there's hardly any info on this scope at all, apart from some positive short reviews which don't mention anything about the finder. I probably have to make a phone call or 2 to get some more info. Anyways thanks guys again for your help!

I've tried using a scope of that spec without a finder, ie: just using a very low power / wide angle eyepiece, but I found it didn't really work out. I needed just a simple red dot / illuminated reticule finder to do the initial "pointing" and then I could use the low / wide eyepiece to do the rest on fainter objects.

My guess is that the William Optics type finder mount would work. The WO finder mount screws into a threaded hole in the focuser body. Alternatively it is possible to get a Skywatcher type finder shoe with an additional hole drilled in it which can be fitted to such focussers.

Archived