NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED80 & Clouds Shipped - Lovejoy, Camera/Lens & Tripod Backup Plan!

My Christmas and Birthday money has all just gone on an ED80 and Astronomic UHC filter, so with those about to hit the post, I knew long term clouds were on the way. I wanted to get a shot of Comet Lovejoy, but being full of cold over Christmas, I didn't have the energy to set up the 200PDS. Lovejoy is also very low here at present, only 12 degrees above the horizon, so I want a proper go with the scope in about a week. So for now, I decided I'd stick the 70-300mm lens on the Nikon, and try some short exposures from the static tripod.

The position of the comet was only a little way above a street light, which was rather inconsiderate of it, but I had a go regardless at ISO 1600 and 5 second exposures. There wasn't enough trailing to prevent Deep Sky Stacker from stacking the frames, so I managed a stack of 15 x 5 seconds, and was pleasantly surprised to see a little green fuzz ball. So at least I have an image of it if the weather is a pain.

Hopefully the weather will give me a window to use the big scope to get a close up image.

post-20257-0-01195500-1420063991_thumb.j

I'll need to set up in the front garden to see it ( rather than the back like normal ), and will only have an hour or two between it getting high enough and trees getting in the way. The forecast for next week isn't good, so I have to try tonight. If I get another chance in a weeks time, great, but I don't want to miss this chance. It will only be 21 degrees above the horizon at its best position tonight.

Archived