Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lodestar X2c sensor

f15p5

Trying to compare canera's and chips. From what I can find out the X2c uses a sony ICX829AK exview.

8.2x8.4 752x580 size 6.45x4.75    Does anyone know if this is a HAD2 chip? or sensitivity of it?

Another camera uses ICX828 exview had2 8.4x9.8 768x494 with a sensitivity of 3200. sie unkown.

I'm assuming these are very different chips, not close in performance?

I can't seem to find performance numbers on the Lodestar chip to determine how far off it is in performance (if any) to the 828. Or to even a ixc428akl exhad.

Getting ready to pull the trigger and buy a camera, just can't make up my mind. I was looking at the astrosystems DSO-S to learn on, but they don't seem to be in stock.

My next choice is the X2C at 3x the $$$, or the Jr Pro at another $200 which is getting past my price range when I add in all the extra's to make it work off my PC.

With the X2c though I would have to buy another dedicated planetary camera, bringing  the price up to Jr Pro levels. 

So few choices :-)

Richard

Hi Richard,

The only difference between the Sony ICX828 and 829 is that the 828 is NTSC and the 829 is PAL. Here's a llink that describes the specs of both. Both have a sensitivity of 3200mv.

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_71/icx828_829aka_ala.pdf

This sensor has probably the highest sensitivity of anything on the EAA market today. If you want to see the deepest DSO in the fastest time, get the SX Lodestar X2. It doesn't work for lunar or planetary work, but there are some really cheap alternatives out there for that.

Here's a link to some of the captures I got during my EAA sessions with the Lodestar X2 and X2C.

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/member/36930-hilodon/

Hope this helps.

Don

Hi Richard,

The only difference between the Sony ICX828 and 829 is that the 828 is NTSC and the 829 is PAL. Here's a llink that describes the specs of both. Both have a sensitivity of 3200mv.

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news_archives/img/pdf/vol_71/icx828_829aka_ala.pdf

This sensor has probably the highest sensitivity of anything on the EAA market today. If you want to see the deepest DSO in the fastest time, get the SX Lodestar X2. It doesn't work for lunar or planetary work, but there are some really cheap alternatives out there for that.

Here's a link to some of the captures I got during my EAA sessions with the Lodestar X2 and X2C.

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/member/36930-hilodon/

Hope this helps.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. Great images! What focal length is your 100mm?

Richard

Hi Don,

Guess I'm going to bite the bullet and get the X2C tomorrow. I must say for some reason it produces images with round stars more than any video camera I've seen. I have a pet peeve about square stars:-)

Thanks for your help, and also others who have steered me this way. Once I get it and figure it out I will post some images.

Happy New Year,

Richard

Thanks, Richard.  My 100mm is the Skywatcher F9.  Sometimes I use a .8 FR to bring it to about F7, so the focal length runs between 700 and 900mm.  I'm in the observatory now and have my 100 mounted.  Some clouds moved in but I could still see the moon so I took some shots of it.  I"m posting them in another thread, so if you're interested, take a look.  First lunar I've ever gotten with the Lodestar.

Don 

The Lodestars are fine for lunar and planetary - the SX s/w [Windows] goes down to 1/1000s [1ms] and as long as you like. 

Planetary is not my thing and can't wait for needed good seeing ! Webcams are best but here's some single frames from my archives.  The defunked cooled MX5 used the similar s/w as the Lodestar :police:

post-21003-0-01080200-1420151203.jpg

post-21003-0-32999500-1420151239.jpg

I will also just throw in the half resolution below exposures of 250ms are a limitation of my software (LL) and not the camera, although I will point out that the download speed of the camera means a field (i.e. had resolution) takes quite some time, so you will not get the kind of performance you get from webcams or video cameras - but as nytecam proves good results are possible!

Thanks to all for the great info and advice. Between all the help here and a few on NSN using the X2 I decided to get off the fence and order one. Should be here next Monday or Tuesday, decided on the color model (make wife happy, she likes color).  I already dowloaded Paul's excellent software, and this sealed the deal. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I will have a few questions in the future.

Richard

Archived