Hello from praxis

hi and thanks fo having me in th forums  , I am a 62 yaer old disabled male havinghad a strok earlir in t year. I was given a bresser 70/700 fo xms  an cant download I ke gettin an error 404 message so cant understan what all the different tubes and eye peices atall devifor or how to use them, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated, I did have a 4 inch nertonionewhen i was younger so I'm not totally cluel ss and intend to studdy the threads on getting tated thoughroly

Hi Praxis - if you post that question as a new topic in this forum, you will get a much better response as more people look through new topics than checking the end of this one. I don't have any experience with that telescope myself, but I have seen threads about it, so you will certainly get assistance from those that do.

Hi Praxis, welcome to SGL and also congratulations on your new telescope, which will give you hours of fun.  I too had a stroke four years ago and am slightly disabled (I am 64 now, so we have something unfortunately in common).

Your telescope is a refractor and usually you get a mirror-diagonal that goes in the viewing end of the telescope, and you should have a couple of eyepieces with it, usually a low power (25mm or similar) and a mid to high power (10mm or similar).  You use these eyepieces to stick in the mirror diagonal to look up at the sky.  You will need to focus the whole thing on the Moon to start with and get your bearings.  You will also have a much smaller finder scope (sits on top the telescope, usually near the back, there should be a 'shoe' for it to fit into) which needs to be aligned with the telescope.  This is usually done during the daytime on a distant object (like a church spire) and basically you need to align the scope and the finder to the same object, if that makes sense!

If you have any further questions regarding this just ask away!

Archived