NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Markarian's Chain

ob1

Dull as it may seem, I've only really been keeping a journal of my observations for the last few years, but it does now include EP focal lengths!

In my garden, it's the wrong time of year for this beauty and this year has been a bit of a wash out!

However, in 2013 (May 2nd to be precise) using the 8" dob, I had a rather splendid view working my way down through the chain and managing to spot at least 8 of the galaxies using an 18mm EP.

I was clearly quite delighted as one after another kept popping into view! :D

I can heartily recommend keeping a journal by the way. ;)

When I first explored the chain with my 10", I started off with a 27mm to locate the heart of the chain (M87, M84, M86 region), then I switched to a 9mm, so I could pick out more of the NGC galaxies in the chain.  This combination of eye pieces worked very well for me.

Thanks for the replies Ben and Star Sapling.  Have either of you tried to get majority of objects in one field?  Or would they even be visible in a field that wide with a 10" dob?

I couldn't see a string of galaxies through the 32mm in an 8" 'scope, whether you'd have more luck with a 10" I don't know.

I was able to get 2 or 3, maybe 4 in with the 18mm and as I moved the next one into the centre of the field of view, the others would appear at the edge and so I worked my way along.

I didn't have the 24mm 82° EP at the time, that would definitely have fitted more in, but whether I'd have still had the magnification to show the dimmer ones, I don't know, I'll have to try it again next year! :D

I think you need something like a 1.5 degree true field ?

I get 1.6 degrees with the 31mm Nagler and my 12" dob - I'll have to have a crack at these again when Virgo rises higher :grin:

The same ep in my 10" dob should give 2.1 degrees if I calculate correctly.  That should work huh?  Only about 38X, not sure what all would be visible.

Archived