Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan Handset issues

Hi All,

I recently updated my Handset firmware.

The last couple of nights I've been out, I've had issues with slewing the scope.

Last night, did the alignment fine, went to slew to the Moon, but the handset is telling me it's 'out of slew limits' , tried another target. Exactly the same message.

It did the same on Christmas Eve.

Anyone got any ideas?? Please.

Pretty sure, settings are correct, haven't changed anything ,that I know of. :)

Just seems strange it will do alignment , but not go anywhere else. ??

99% of handset errors are the operator, that's not saying its not a handset error, maybe re-flash it again, but sometime people can't see the wood for the tree's..... :grin:

Hi Tums,

Sounds like you may have forgotten to add 'W' to your longitude entry or 'N ' to you latitude entry... or you have entered latitude and longitude in the wrong order... both easy and common mistakes that a lot of us made at first.

The others are entering the time in 12 hours mode rather than 24hour mode... or entering the day and month in British format rather than the required American format.

If these are all correct then a re-load of the update would be the next thing... are you sure you have the latest version?

Version 3.36 is the correct one for version 3 handsets.

Don't use V4.36.02 unless you have a version 4 handset... the version 3 handset hardware is different so this would cause all sorts of problems.

Hope you find the problem.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Folks,  turns out Tinker was spot on. :embarrassed:  

re- flashed the handset V3, then went through the settings.

in the new firmware,there is now an 'Elevation' setting , which for me is 75m, looks like I have had a case of 'fat Finger Syndrome' :rolleyes:  and put it on  -  not + , so it probably thinks I'm underwater   :rolleyes2: Doh!!! 

Many Thanks for the posts. SGL Rules   :headbang:

I would wait before declaring all is solved, a few meters is not going to make much difference to anything. Be honest half of Somerset and East Anglia are below sea level. Cannot see what use Altitude actually is.

If it works then great, if not then check things like Longitude, make sure you have sufficent leading 0's for the value

Hi All,

I recently updated my Handset firmware.

The last couple of nights I've been out, I've had issues with slewing the scope.

Last night, did the alignment fine, went to slew to the Moon, but the handset is telling me it's 'out of slew limits' , tried another target. Exactly the same message.

It did the same on Christmas Eve.

Anyone got any ideas?? Please.

If the alignment is working fine as you say then your settings are probably ok. Sounds like your GoTo database is corrupted. Best try reflashing it.

Check Long and Lat (it is that order if I recall, and we say Lat/Long which is always suspect)

Check that Long is something like 002  45 W

Have read of a few having troubles with getting the number of leading 0's.

The other one is the timezone, it seems to have altered in format a little.

You want UTC 0 or maybe 00.

Another I have read is that you might need to enter -0, the minus sign may be wanted.

I know -0 and +0 would appear to be the same to us but go for -0 if you can.

All the above are really quirks of the system, they are starting to show the age of the handsets now and to an extent how little they have changed.

If you have a pad of paper write down everything in the correct order (and leading 0's) without the scope near you. Then either check or reenter the data refering to the sheet,

There is I think an option for Northern or Southern hemisphere - although maybe not your scope - just in case that defaults to Southern check it, again half recall someone having that as a problem. Equally why that is not taken from the Latitude I have no idea.

Historically both Meade and Celestron would set defaults in the software, based on where the company was (California). So people set their home values and the scopes still went and used half the defaults.

Ronin,

Had the handset out again, re-flashed, then went through settings on it.

It was reading

002* 00' W 00* 00' N. ( Actual numbers left out for security ;) )

+ 00.00 Now changed to. - 00.00

+ 75m

Time

Daylight Saving. NO

Looking like it may be clear again later, so will get out and try it again. Thanks for the guidelines. :)

Fingers crossed :)

Hi, just an update.

Set the mount up,the other afternoon in the house, went back to basics, set up 'home' position, went through handset checking everything against Skywatcher online Manual.

Did an 3 star alignment, all fine. Then picked the Moon, 'target over slew limit , argh!!. So after redoing this a few times.

I thought I'd try the handset from my 130p AZgoto, as I'd updated the firmware to 3.36 just the same.

As I went through the setup, I got some different info on the screen after the main setup. Which I googled, and it said it was something to do with a ' patent pending'

Anyway after pressing 'Enter' a couple more times , did another 3star alignment , all fine , went for the Moon again , it slewed straight there, WooHoo! ,so then tried slewing to different targets all worked fine. phew!!

Then thought I'd try original Handset again, did alignment again, but got same ' over slew limit ' message,when I tried to go anywhere . :(

Later,went outside with the scope,to see how things worked, used the GoTo handset , and everything worked alright for the couple of hours I was out.

So,it looks like it may be some issue with the original handset, or the firmware update in that handset.

Can you completely wipe a handset and start again fresh???

Hi Tums, and a Happy New year to you and yours.

Just a thought... when you switched over to you AZgoto handset did you (1) use the AZgoto handset cable? or (2) did you just swap handsets using the same cable?

If you used the first option then it might be worth checking the (alleged) faulty handset again but use the cable from the AZGoto ... i.e. this could be a doggy cable problem.

Are you absolutely sure the handset giving you problems IS a V3... how old is it? if it's new then perhaps it is actually a V4... either way if reasonably new then perhaps you should have a word with the supplier as it should be covered under the warranty.

Hope you get it solved.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Sandy, and a very Happy New Year to you and the Family as well.

I actually just changed the handset, not the cable.

It's a V3, bought the HEQ5 pro synscan secondhand, so not actually sure of exact date of manufacture. I did download the V4 firmware, thinking maybe it was a V4 handset, but when I tried to update, it said that it wasn't a V4 h/s ,so it wouldn't do it. :(

Will have another look tomorrow. :)

Archived