Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uncoloured filter for planets (Saturn mainly)

I suspect that you will need to look at "planetary" filters, no idea what the pass/block wavelengths are in any of them however.

Some months ago TV produced 3 (It think but may have been 4).

Here is the hard part, people seemed to report one was very good and improved things - just no idea which of the ones it was, and, they seemed top disapper off the market not that long after they came out.

Whether one of the EU retailers still have any, or if there is an equalent I am not sure.

Guess the starting place is the TV website.

Hopefully someone here may recall which was the "good" one and so point you in the right direction for one.

Many of the filters you see will be for nebula emissions.

People say that an OIII is good but again that tends not to be for planets, spectra off of planets is different.

Post this seperately:

Found this on CN from October:

I really like the performance of the Bandmate Planetary filter on Jupiter. The filter improves the contrast of the little white ovals & festoons so they really pop, almost a HD look to the planet. On Saturn the filter works OK, but I prefer the Baader Neodymium filter on Saturn.

So your initial thoughts of the Baader may be sensible for Saturn.

Archived