Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Re-housing a Celestron 6.3 focal reducer, in 2" cell

SkySurfer

Hi all,
I have managed to get hold of a 2" cell for my Celestron focal reducer lens, which is a perfect fit, so will screw onto the end of my M48 nosepiece, and fit well inside my 2" focuser, so saves around 50mm on the length of my imaging train.
The cell is threaded all down the outside with a M48 thread, so it can screw in as much or little as I want to get the correct spacing.

My question is does anyone know which way round the lens from the reducer should be, I took mine apart and is made up of 2 sets of 2 lens, so 4 lens in total, but each set is stuck together so it's only in 2 pieces with a spacer between, but I think mine was fitted the wrong way round.

This picture is taken from a video on YouTube showing how to remove the lens and am assuming this picture is the correct way round, but just wondered if anybody can confirm this, you can see in the image that there is a thin and thick lens on each set, so the order is From the left of the picture
thin, thick. Spacer, thin, thick

Mine, when I took it apart was, from the left
Thick, thin, spacer, thin, thick

post-39765-0-49882800-1418924046_thumb.j
:) :)
SS

Celestron did change the design on its 6.3 reducer so earlier ones are not the same as the latter ones. The difference is measureable in terms of the focal point (back focus measurement) - the longer bf is for the earlier models, so I would guess that also meant the lens design may also have changed.

I no longer have my Celestron FR so am unable to check for you,

Regards

Robert

Had a look at mine but can't really tell without taking it apart.

When it's together if you hold it up a few feet from a light bulb you can focus on a piece of white card and you should get an inverted image of the light bulb about 200mm from the focal reducer.

Dave

Had a look at mine but can't really tell without taking it apart.

When it's together if you hold it up a few feet from a light bulb you can focus on a piece of white card and you should get an inverted image of the light bulb about 200mm from the focal reducer.

Dave

Hi,

Yes I tried that and seems ok, but I think it would do,that even if one of the lens was the wrong way round, as it is the Flattener that could be wrong

I have asked on another forum for someone to take there's apart and send me a pic, it is very easy to do, remove locking ring and slide out in one stack, then back in again, I made the mistake of deciding to clean them while they were out.......mistake, or I should have at least labeled them.

thanks for,the reply

SS

Archived