Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Adventurer Mount v HEQ5

Herrman

Hi,

I'm tempted by the SW Adventurer bundle. However, I have a moth-balled HEQ5 & Synscan which I find portable enough, and plenty of spare mounting bars. Would I be better-off blowing the dust off the '5', rather than adding another mount to my arsenal?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions!

All the best, Herrman

I would say without a doubt that the HEQ5 is a much more reliable and more capable mount. I'm not saying the SW Adventurer is bad, its got great reviews so far but i think it is marketed to be a small portable mount rather than a serious DSO imager, although i know you can get some nice images with it. If you dont have a problem moving the HEQ5 about then there is no reason not to use it! 

But thats just my opinion :)

Callum

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, good point I should have explained this in my original post. I have a modded 40d which is used little since I went over to an astro CCD camera. Thought I try the Canon with 50 mm & 300 mm lenses, plus auto guider.

Regards, Herrman

Hi Callum,

Many thanks for your reply and sound advice.

I had been thinking of selling the HEQ5 as it gets little use. Seeing the new SW platform and reading reviews got me thinking about wide-field imaging; something to do while the big scope & mount are occupied taking subs. Then I started thinking it could be a backward step to offload the '5' to fund purchasing the Adventurer.

Think I'll stick with the HEQ5, unless anyone can convince me otherwise!

Thanks again, Herrman

Archived