NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommended books please!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not too late; I'm a great fan of the Backyard Astronomer's Guide as a beginner's book. It not only covers observing but the whole field of astronomy equipment etc, and all written in a very readable way.   It answers all those basic questions (e.g. image orientation in various types of scope) as well as more detailed stuff. It was my third book after Norton's and TLAO - all mentioned above, and I still refer to it.

Good luck - that time after Christmas during daylight and/or clouds is a great time for astro reading!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Backyard Astronomer's Guide, Norton's and TLAO mentioned above. I would also add The Practical Astronomer (Dk Astronomy) on the list. It's a beautifully illustrated astronomy book covering a wide range of general astronomy topics for beginners as well as 88 pages of guides to constellations. Basic concepts of astronomy are explained in terms that make sense to a beginner.

Archived