SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommended books please!

Hi All,

Hopefully a straightforward question: which book or books would you recommend for a beginner? Am looking for general astronomy ones and one or two on astrophotography.  Amazon has loads so I'd be grateful for any recommendations thanks.

Oh and if there are any rubbish ones to avoid that would be good too!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Observing, I like:

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas.

Thompson & Thompson's Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders.

The Cambridge Double Star Atlas.

For the coffee-table, I like:

Rees' Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Universe

Sparrow's Cosmos

For a general introductory good read, I like:

Gribbin's Stardust

Raymo's Soul of the Night

Bryson's A Short History

Ferris' Coming of Age in the Milky Way

Sagan's Cosmos

Atlas of the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop

The Backyard Astronomers Guide by Terence Dickenson & Alan Dyer

Night Watch by Terence Dickinson

Patrick Moore's Astronomy

Philip's Guide to the Night Sky by Sir Patrick Moore

Collins Night Sky & Star Finder by Storm Dunlop & Wil Tirion

Collins Gem Stars

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas

Orion Deep Map 600

A planisphere

Burnham's Celestial Handbook

Avtar

As a beginner I used (and sometimes still do)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nortons-Star-Atlas-Ian-Ridpath/dp/0131451642/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417500840&sr=1-1&keywords=norton%27s+star+atlas

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Hopping-Your-Visa-Viewing-Universe/dp/0521598893

Both of these I highly recommend. Nortons is more than just an atlas and the second book really shows you how to use any scope eyepiece combo to navigate your way around the sky.

I would recommend "Norton's Star Atlas & Reference Handbook"

This book has been around since 1910 and has been revised many many times, it is still in print. The book contains a wealth of information which rarely appears in other contemporary books. Check with your local library to see if a copy is available; IMO, it's one of the best bargains out there.

Recently got "Philip's Deep Sky Observer's Guide" for £2-99 at a branch of The Works in Birmingham (in UK The Works is a bargain books chain of shops). It is not exactly a beginners book, but you won't be a beginner for long.

Good luck.

Turn left at Orion, Making Every Photo Count and The Sky and Telescope Pocket Atlas would all get my vote as well ... Making Every Photon Count  isn't available on Amazon but if your in the UK can be bought from FLO  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html  or  if your overseas it can be bought direct from the author http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk/   IMHO It is pretty much essential reading before you make purchasing decisions I wish it had been available when I started out,,,

Peter...

I would recommend "Norton's Star Atlas & Reference Handbook"

This book has been around since 1910 and has been revised many many times, it is still in print. The book contains a wealth of information which rarely appears in other contemporary books. Check with your local library to see if a copy is available; IMO, it's one of the best bargains out there.

I have just ordered a copy off amazon 2000 edition cost 1P, 2.86pp

Archived