Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Path of Venus

Becky

OK, here's a question. I apologise beforehand because I already think the answer is no, but I wanted to confirm it. In the DaVinci code, author Dan Brown claims that the movement of Venus traces the shape of a perfect Pentagram across the ecliptic in a period of eight years. Most of Dan Browns books contain a lot of true science and a bit of waffle, so my question is... Is it true?

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

You're right, the answer is "no", BUT, it depends on how you sample it. Venus follows a path around the sky that's curved and repeatable. But, if you look at it only when at times of extreme positions above the ecliptic or below, farthest from the Sun or closest, I'd imagine you could find just about any shape you like, eventually. Venus' path begins to repeat about every 4 years, but shifted, (precessed) to the east slightly.

If you plot the path of venus over the last 20 years on a graph, colour in the overlapping bits in red, wear 3D glasses, and squint, then you see a likeness of John, the bloke up the road. Turn it over and its a map of the underground as it would have been if the Germans had won the last war.

Dunno how you find time for fiction Becky!!

Cheers

TJ

Archived